Glow Plug Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Removal

Does someone know what size socket I need to remove the glow plugs?? Are there any tricks to successful removal and re-install. Thanks for the help, POOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The socket size needed is a 10mm deep. I also suggest having new glow plug harnesses in your hands as well as the glow plugs themselves before you get your hands dirty with this job. Even with the proper Ford/Rotunda tool, they tend to break when you attempt to remove them. Cylinders #5 and #7 will be a lot of fun to access with the evaporator housing in the way.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
oh my, those glow plug harnesses are a pain in the ***. I wish I could offer some tips or insight but I haven't figured this out 100% for myself
Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
oh my, those glow plug harnesses are a pain in the ***. I wish I could offer some tips or insight but I haven't figured this out 100% for myself
Try soaking each connector with LIBERAL amounts of PB Blaster or penetrating fluid and wiggling it about before you attempt to disconnect it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Glow plug removal

Okay, I got my 10mm deep and was working om the driver side glow plugs. When I try to remove the harness cap, it comes out about an inch exposing a plastic strip or something??? What is going on here??? Your thoughts PLEASE??
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
10mm deep socket, short extension. Removing the inner fenders helps tremendously. To get them out, I use a small piece of vacumn hose to slip over the tip. I'd recommend ordering new harnesses now, as they are very likely going to break.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM

But what is this filamentstrip I see whenn I pull the cap off. I don,t want to cut. I am LOST HERE HELP
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I've had some luck with a heat gun on the harnesses-seems to heat up the o-rings so they slide out easier.

Filament strip? Pull the cap off? The glow plugs are accessible without removing the valvecovers.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 PM

glow plug removal

Okay, From the top, My 05 stock 6.0 is hydro locked and I am in the process of newbie tear down. Everybody has been more than helpful with step by step PDF's and advice. Thank GOD. I have wrenched on tractors and misc. but never anything this packed together. I have been dis-mantling by the book and am at the point I can see what I think are the glow plugs. Members have told me that since I am hydro locked that if I remove the glow plugs and crank by hand the dead engine I will relieve the cylinder lock. That is where I am at this point of dis- assembly. If I am actually at the glow plug, it has a snug wiring harness running along the lower portion of the valve cover. IF,I try to pull the lead off the four plugs on the drivers side ,,, it moves out about an inch exposing a yellow or red (looks to be plastic) filament running down the center of the g plug. What NOW. Don't want to rip and tear. Want to proceed with expert advise. Thanks POOP
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldpoop View Post
Okay, From the top, My 05 stock 6.0 is hydro locked and I am in the process of newbie tear down. Everybody has been more than helpful with step by step PDF's and advice. Thank GOD. I have wrenched on tractors and misc. but never anything this packed together. I have been dis-mantling by the book and am at the point I can see what I think are the glow plugs. Members have told me that since I am hydro locked that if I remove the glow plugs and crank by hand the dead engine I will relieve the cylinder lock. That is where I am at this point of dis- assembly. If I am actually at the glow plug, it has a snug wiring harness running along the lower portion of the valve cover. IF,I try to pull the lead off the four plugs on the drivers side ,,, it moves out about an inch exposing a yellow or red (looks to be plastic) filament running down the center of the g plug. What NOW. Don't want to rip and tear. Want to proceed with expert advise. Thanks POOP
And this would be where the glow plug harness has already come apart. You will now need to replace the harness with a new one or you will have oil leaks, if you even think about re-using it. I stated it once, and I state it again. Soak the bores where the each of the four connectors plug into the glow plugs themselves through the rocker arm carriers with LIBERAL amounts of PB Blaster or WD-40 and wiggle them about. Give each connector a light tug and they should come out. Finesse will be your best friend here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.