Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

3 year gremlin - Surge, Stumble, Stall

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  charkbait 
#1 · (Edited)
Been 3 summers now chasing this gremlin and now it is unbearable. From march until around Novmber the past 3 years (as long as I have had the truck) i pick up a surge, chug, and stumble. The chug and stumble is now so pronounced that I will stall on occasion when at idle and even had it happen while underway last week.

I now have AE and ran it tonight for about an hour and logged some of this.

What I am seeing is:

ICP voltage of .85ish and during the stumble it will bounce around to .65ish
ICP usage of about 25% at idle bounces as high as 42%
During that time VGT will move around also but not as much
ICP desired at idle is 580 and it will hold at 580 except when bucking and stumbling when ICP will bounce into the 650's

How does this all tie together, Id been thinking HPOP for the past 2 months and wanted to use AE to make sure I was throwing money in the right place...what say you .org?

Current codes were the normal EGR, FICM from the delete and tuning.

Also had EBP and CAM sensor codes but they could be from the stalls along with a bunch of misfire codes. FICM voltage locks in at 48.5 and doesn't move so I'm hoping I eliminated that one. Was also good to see my EOT and ECT in spec.

I have replaced the ICP and CAM sensor in the past year trying to solve this thing. I was also told to ignore the EBP sensor as they aren't used with the flashes I have but I'm tempted to try it cause I'm running out of bullets. It appears to be working but reads 2x higher than what the requested EBP...not sure if that means anything or not.

I'm stumped based on what I've read because mine comes and goes with weather over 60 degrees and I don't have any start issues. It runs the same way tuned or stock.

See less See more
#2 ·
stalled this morning and kicked off misfire codes in Inj 4 & 6. Is that where I go or do I need to verify that it isn't the HPOP or ICP causing the misfire and stall?

#4 ·
charkbait,
I hope this will help you out. I have been fighting the same problem with my 2004 truck. I also bought AE trying to figure it out and tried every shop that was referred.I had the wastegate actuator replaced i think its called vgt solenoid(5c3z6f089ba).I drove it for 1 hr yesterday and no surging wooohooo i think its fixed.I may have found a mechanic for life.I need to drive longer.

#5 ·
starting to think the symptoms are separate. Stumble and Stall = replaced ICP after throwing a code...so far so good

Ordered a VGT to try and see if that cures the surge, if not I'll be cleaning the turbo next.

#6 ·
fine for 5 days and now back to a total mess.

put in all the injector saving stuff I could yesterday and need to run it for a while to see if that helps, if so I have a path to head down.

Hoping that fixes the idle flutter and stall

Still think the surge is something else. Anyone dealt with a surge due to the torque converter solenoid? This truck will lurch forward at a stop from time to time and will "take off" while underway without an increase in rpms or foot in the pedal.

#7 ·
Throttle position sensor. If it's similar set up to my 97, as far as having something like that sensor, that sounds like what mine did. It was throwing injector codes and buckin and stallin and running like crap. Changed the pedal with the throttle position sensor and it ran like a new truck. No problems since.

#8 ·
might be the icp harness, was able to recreate the idle issues by jiggling and pulling on it, idles fine so far unplugged. Guess plugging the new one in sured up the connections for a couple days.

anything other than bad cam and crank sensors that will throw those codes? Like a stall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.