turbo bad ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo bad ??

Well, I been trying to figure this out... Now the truck takes forever to spool up and when I brake boost it... It makes about 5 psi and doesn't spin the tires or anything, if I'm driving at around 40 mph and floor it.. The turbo struggles to spool and then blows boost back out the intake, and does the same when I let off the throttle !

People are saying many different things, like vaccum pump, wastegate, vaccum leak, boost leak, plugged interccooler and or plugged exhaust or my turbo is **** !!

Ever since this started the engine sounds different too ! Sounds more noisey from the intake side... Like its having a hard time breathing or something.

If my turbo is bad what would it do ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 AM

My symptoms were no power, smoking, bucking when giving it gas and the "turbo fart" which I found out was the boost coming back thru the air filter assembly . The truck couldnt get out of it's own way.

The sages here told me what the problem was, a dirty locked up turbo from my driving habits. Gave me the info on the cleaning, which I did and now the truck runs better than new, even seems to start faster, or with less cranking effort. no more turbo fart either.

just came back from a road trip and other than blowing a boot off no problems. Dont know if thats your problem but it seems to be a common problem with the VGT.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

heres the thing, my truck has 360,xxx KM on it... so thats like 220,xxx miles on a stock turbo running 30 psi

Is cleaning it worth a try ? I mean it blows some oil... nothing that comes out the exhaust but there is some in the charge pipes.

How do I clean the Turbo? how many miles were on yours when this issue started?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM

For the money it costs in parts ( 11.00) it wont hurt. I babied my truck and had numerous cold start ups with just idle time which contributed to the problem. Additionally my EGR valve was clean but the sensor that reads exhaust pressure was carboned up. It's a little labor intensive but not too scary. I've built a few old fords along the way and know my way around engine rebuilding but had never touched a diesel before. Gained a lot of confidence from the forum. Search turbo cleaning and you'll find what your looking for. Everything is pretty easy but make absolutley sure that your exhaust inlets and outlets to the turbo are on the money before clamping or you'll get a leak. Ask me how I know. I think the oil in your inlet is probably being drawn in from your CCV. Mine had it as well and was leaking thru the boots so I did a CCV re-route to a remote tank with filter. I found that info here as well and just made mine a little differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.