Could I have a vacuum problem??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could I have a vacuum problem???

The reason I am asking about the vacuum problem is that when I use cruise control, I have to push hard on the brake to disengage cruise, where before it would take I light touch of the pedal. Here is what I have posted in other posts and what I have done. PLEASE help as we are trying to get back to Texas and that is an 1,100 mile journey and we want to get this thing right before breaking down on the side of the road.

NYC 350, SixString, and others. Well, the test on the FICM showed 48.6 when the key was turned on, then 48.2 when cranking and then 48.6 when running. Now that I have started and tested in, here is what I have found, some new symptoms. I took it on the highway and the acceleration is GREAT, but still, when I level off, I have a slight miss and then when I engage the cruise you can feel it more. So, I bring it back to house and let it idle and hit the pedal to jump it to 2500 rpms and there is a small puff of black smoke, no white. And I have also put a pry bar between the gas pedal and drivers to burn more of the fuel off, and now when I get it initially level out at 1500 rpm with the pry bar, the rpms will raise to about 1800 rpms then drop to about 1400, and it seems to cycle like this when I leave it set up like this. The reason I am trying to burn off some of this fuel is the Ford tech I had originally talked to told me that I should double the dose of the Power Services in my fuel when I filled up so I did it. But now I am wondering if this might be the problem, so I am about to go add more fuel to it as well. So, up to this point, I have replaced the fuel filters, oil & oil filter, air filter, upgraded the fuel spring to the Ford blue, checked the FICM, and replaced the batteries. How would one check the injectors if someone says it might be an injector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As as the cruise control goes, it should actuate off of your brake light switch, which should be behind the brake pedal looking at the firewall.

As far as your injectors being bad, I can't speak for that other than what you said your symptoms were. I have double dosed with PS before and not had these issues. Granted it was on a full tank and yours may not have been.

Generally when you have injector issues you will get a lot of black smoke both at idle and running down the road if it is over-fueling. The best thing you can do, is get a good quality scanner such as an Auto Engenuity or Snap On or a Ford Scanner. That is going to tell you a lot more than just mechanical tests.

However, with the surging you are talking about, I would try to disconnect the electrical connector at the turbo that controls the variable vane and see if you still get the same surging. If it doesn't happen, then you may want to look into cleaning the turbo as well, which, while not a hard job to do just takes a little time.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I read thru your other posts and I'm confused by your issue.

You have a slight miss/shuddering problem at 1500-2000 rpm? Is it a miss or shuddering or more of a racing rpm issue?

The miss/shuddering issue could be from a few things. I would try having the trucks PCM/FICM updated to the latest programming though. I've had trucks before that have had this same miss/shudder issue that a PCM/FICM update took care of it. There are quite a few TSB's on issues like this. For 100 or so bucks it's worth a shot.

I don't think it's a vaccum issue though. These trucks don't use vaccum for the cruise like older trucks do. It's all electric nowadays.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Miss

Roary & Justin,

Roary, where is the plug to unplug the turbo? Can I run it on the highway without this electrical connection to test it for about 8 miles? As I said, when I get to about 65 mph & even up to 75 mph and level out on the speed, then I can barely feel the miss, but once I put the cruise control on, I can feel it better.

Justin, the missing/surging while in Park is as follows: I can put a pry bar between drivers seat and gas pedal at around 1500 rpms, and then you can see and hear the motor going up about 150 rpms from where I set it back down to around 1500 rpms, and it keeps cycling like this. As for the miss on the road, when I get to about 65 mph & even up to 75 mph and level out on the speed, then I can barely feel the miss, but once I put the cruise control on, I can feel it better. As for black smoke, I only get a small cloud of black smoke if I let the truck idle and then have the some rev the motor up to 2500 rpms or so. I was told that if it was the injectors, then I would see white smoke as unburnt diesel fuel.

To all, thanks for the help but any advice would be appreciated.

I will try anything at this point
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
do your brake lights come on tapping the brake pedel? there is 1 or 2 switches on the brake pedel. and cruise is all electronic. no vac unlees you are driving a gasser.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Try what roary said and see if it changes. The plug is right on the front of the turbo. It goes to the solenoid that controls the vanes in the turbo. What year is this truck? Does it have the boost gauge in the dash? Do you see the boost fluctuating with your surge?

It's kind of hard to tell if your talking about just a surge problem or and actual miss/shudder. There 2 different things really.

If it's only a light shudder when youre revving it up not under load, and it's just a slight shudder when you're driving, I would try getting it reflashed. What RPM's is it most noticable at when driving? RPM's are more important then actual MPH as far as trying to narrow it down. Try lugging it in lower gears and see if you can't get it to do it. I bet it does it then also, and is probably most noticable when keeping it between 1500-2000 RPM, especially when under load like pulling a slight hill.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Justin, it is a 2004 and yes, the range is about 1500 to 2100 rpm when out on the highway when I feel this miss/shudder, but it is less noticable if I leave cruise off and fluctuate the gas pedal. You are also correct about it being noticable when going uphill, so therefore I do not want to pull anything until I get this thing straightened out. Others say it might be a stuck injector or two, but wouldn't I be seeing white smoke? Another concern is that with a stuck injector, would it not be missing consistently, because I can be at several stop lights and it idles great, and then another stop light it might idle a little rough, so it is not consistent. Can I run the truck for about 8 miles without the plug on the turbo? As for the surging, like I said this happens when I have the prybar between seat and pedal and set at about 1500 rpms, it will then fluctuate the rpms up and down within about 200 rpm difference. Please, everyone jump in and let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It could be signs of a pending injector issue. Depends what parts of the injector is acting up, if it's more of an electrical fault or a mechanical fault with the injector.

I really wouldn't sweat it if it's only intermittent like that. I would really try the reflash and see if it doesn't take care of it.

The reason I'm suggesting this is I had a truck that did the exact same thing. It had all the same symptons your describing. Had it reflashed and it smoothed out. There have been alot of updates to the programming on these things, especially if it hasn't been updated recently.

You could run the truck with that turbo plug undone, but I don't think that's your issue. That problem would cause a very noticable engine racing. It would be jumping around RPM's when your driving, like you were mashing off and on the throttle consistently.

Try and get the thing reflashed. Ford is usually pretty good about doing it, it runs about $100 bucks here in MD.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, you can run it unplugged, but you will have very little acceleration and a LOT of black smoke plus you will throw codes so be aware of that. What oil (brand and viscosity) and filters are you using? Just curious mainly but that could play a part in it as well if it is HP oil related.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Roary, I had Rotella T 15w-40 put in the the Motorcraft oil filter. The gentelman who sold it to me was not sure when his dad had changed the oil last. This is an 2004 with 234,900 miles. I know my 7.3 diesels, I could get 500,000 miles easily as I maintain my trucks very intensely. How could I check the HP oil pressure? I have one guy telling me it might be an injector or two thst is stuck closed, but here is my thoughts. I can run the truck in town and be at several stops lights at idle and the truck runs fine, but then every once in awhile I will come up to a light and then it idles rough. So, would this still be a sign of a stuck closed injector or what else? I will try the turbo test, remove the egr and look inside to see if it is wet, check the FICM again, check the ICP sensor too. If I have to replace the ICP sensor, do I need to use Motorcraft? Thanks, and this is open to all as well to comment on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.