Smoking-- am I going BROKING - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Smoking-- am I going BROKING

I have an 05 350 dually with all original engine and 78,000 on it. Drove about 150 miles this weekend and now it starts with a cloud of blue smoke that changes to white when it finally gets warmed up. Chugs and chugs it way along til it comes up to temp. Still smokes at stop lights. I have no signs of leakage,, de gas bottle still has liquid in it. Is this a simple fix or an ordeal?? No check engine lights or anything. What can I expext the tech guy to tell me???. PLEASE GIVE ME THE STRAIGHT ANSWER. Thanks, POOP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

sounds like a bad ficm or turbo oil seal.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM

What sort of dollars are we talking about from a dealer doing the repair?? I have looked at e-bay and found a turbo seal kit for under 200.00, Are these any good??? Thanks POOP
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pull the exhaust pipe(down pipe) off the turbo and feel inside it. If it feels sticky and/or you see oil, your oil seal is blown. I have read limited success with rebuild kits. Some people have posted that after a couple thousand miles, they are right back to smoking again. Mine has a blown seal, I have a new turbo on the way though.

As far as the ficm, does the truck start the same as it always does, or does it feel fairly rough starting up. And then it runs like crap until it warms up? If that's the case, the ficm could be shot as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

This truck hasn't been fueled up with GASOLINE by any chance has it? This would be very quick and simple to verify. Simply drain a fuel sample into a cup, and pour it on the ground in a safe location. Attempt to ignite it with a lighter. Does it smell like gasoline? Does it ignite? Check the basics, check the basics, check the basics!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.