random misfire - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
random misfire

2006 6.0 power stroke 105,000 miles, egr delete, 4' straight pipes, head bolts, air dog II fuel pump, industrial injection stage 2 injectors 190 cc, 88mm power-max turbo, FICM replaced in 2009, new CIP sensor.

Truck starts fine and does not miss at an idle. With the truck in N and the rpm up to about 1500 to 2000 it seams to miss on one cylinder. It does not do it all the time. And seams to clear up @ higher rpm (over 2000). I can feel it going down the road. Sometimes it does it pretty hard and other times it just feels like the road is rougher than it really is. And other times it does not do it at all. I am not getting any codes. The cylinder contribution test passed. The FICM is getting about 48 volts. Fuel psi 63. I was having this problem before I did the injectors and head bolts. I have Auto Enginuity's scan tool. I am not sure how to trouble shoot this problem. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Carbon huffing animal

this miss that you are questioning. can you give some more information. For example, how much throttle are you giving when doing so. Say when you're driving it. I had an odd shudder in the engine while driving, that was present at the RPM's you mention, and when at light to very light throttle. More throttle would clear it up.

Do you have the common ZooDad mod (or BB mod) or maybe the updated fuel regulator kit?

A complete miss in a cylinder vibrates the whole truck, essentially un-drivable. What can be mistaken for a miss, but is not actually a miss is a weak injector.

Last edited by SixStringMadness; 06-02-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aaron is having the same problems as I am. I notice my miss when in neutral with rpms at 1500 to 2000, or even driving down the highway and I level out the speed. It is not a big miss, and then if I use curise the miss can be felt more. I have changed the fuel filters, oil & oil filter, cleaned egr, put Power Services into fuel, changed air filter. The Ford tech said testing could be upwards of $300 and that the testing MIGHT not still find the exact problem, so I don't want to just throw money at a tech for guessing. Please helps us. I do not have ZooDad mod (or BB mod) or maybe the updated fuel regulator kit. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Sounds like you may need the Upgrade kit. The ZooDad (BB Mod) is the poor mans fuel regulator update. I did the kit from Ford. Well worth it, took about 30 - 45 minutes, should be able to get it at the dealer for $60 - $70. It sounds like you have the same issue I did. Never tested the neutral thing, but at cruising speed, with just enough throttle to keep the speed, the slight bucking/miss occurred. It's not really a complete miss, if you want to know what that is like, unplug an injector and drive it. You will see what you have now is not a full on miss, just an injector likely getting weak that will benefit from a little higher fuel pressure.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel pressure kit

What is the part number for this upgrade fuel kit? Is there any directions on how to install it by any other members? Any info will be good. I am replacing both batteries today and testing the FICM and possibly resoilder it as well as it sounds to cause problems as well. Thasnks for your help.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The Zoodad is the hole in the rad support for more air right?

whats that got to do with Fuel Pressure...

I have the same issue as the boys above...

HELP!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I may be wrong, but I've always understood the ZooDad to be the BB in front of the spring in the up fuel filter housing. The actual kit has a blue spring, and does better than what the BB does for you.

Fuel Regulator Kit - Updated
3C3Z-9T517-AG

Also you can do the Banjo Bolts. (gets the fuel into the heads, they are the bolts from the 6.4L, same as 6.0 but without a check valve)
QTY 2 - W302472
QTY 4 - W303659

I haven't done Banjo bolt yet. Bought them, but waiting until I have a fuel pressure gauge....

Last edited by SixStringMadness; 06-03-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Carbon huffing animal

You guys should be sure the your EGR Valves are not fouled up too. A dirty/sticking EGR valve can cause some choking/miss type of symptom also.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the BB Mod sounds interesting and easy..

the EGR thats pretty easy too right,
just pull it out carb/choke cleaner and reinstall...
I think I can handle that.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I would suggest the actual Ford kit over the BB.

As far as the EGR valve, pull it out, carb/choke cleaner, be careful not to damage the O-rings, and use a brush of some sort. Carb/Choke cleaner will not just blast the gunk off like it were an actual carburetor. It takes some scrubbing.

Don't over tighten the bolts that hold it. And it is not too fun to pull out either. I use some huge channel locks to wiggle it out. Or I did. I have since rendered mine useless with a BPD delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.