911 stuck in Whichita Falls TX - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
911 stuck in Whichita Falls TX

2004 Excursion Diesel.

Had been running rough for a long time at 1500 to 2000 rpm
Was told probably #1 and #7 injector but it wasn't bad enough top replace it.

We are traveling and towing a 6500# Airstream.

Ended up in Florida and had a noise that sounded like a blown engine. Had one mechanic that said he thought it was #1 and #7 injector.

Turned out that the #8 exhaust rocker arm was bad.
I also replaced #1 and #7 injector.

The truck ran GREAT without the trailer. I thought everything was perfect and we left town.

Initially the truck was running great getting 14 mpg towing trailer which was a big improvement from the 11 mpg that I had been getting.

Less than 200 miles into the trip back to Fort Worth I see the mpg dropping to 7 or 8 mpg.

Crap I think to myself what now. It got so bad that I could get through an intersection. Pulled into a FORD dealership and was told #6 and #8 injector where bad. What's causing this I asked. No reason it just happens.

So I replace #6 and #8 injector and on the initial test ride it drives like a bat out of hell. Just awesome. However when I start to tow the trailer it still does about 11 mpg.

In the 1500 mile trip from Florida I lost about a gallon of coolant. I couldn't see any obvious leaks until I saw vapor coming out from under the coolant cap. I replaced coolant cap in Fort Worth and again the car is driving awesome. Incredible gas mileage. Probably better than I had ever seen.

Had somene tell me that if the coolant system isn't under pressure the cylinders could overheat and fry the injectors.

Never have I seen an increase in temp on the dash board. Even when I had a big coolant leak from the resevoir. The only reason I knew I had that leak was that the engine started running like crap and I pulled over.

This morning we started on our trip from Ft Worth to Amaraillo annd then onto Co and Seattle.

The car is running great. Getting almost 15 mpg towing the trailer.
Before we hit 100 miles it starts hesitating again, and the mpg drops.

I am totally stumped. I did pull over and replace the thermostat and I am flushing the coolant.

Tommorrow I am going to the dealer to get a diagnostic run. If someone tells me I have another injector out and "It just happens" I may go completely postal.

Anyone have any suggestions so you don't have to hear about me on the news?

Steve 817-729-3017 cell or email steventothemax@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are puking coolant then you may have an egr AND oil cooler issue. I would also check for FICM performance. The problem with the rocker concerns me some what. This almost sounds like you have a cracked EGR cooler and it hydrolocked on that CYL when you started it. If you R&R the EGR cooler your oil cooler is also plugged and needs replced at the same time. Do you have any water in the oil? pull off the oil filter cap and look for foam of any kind. The worst case here is that you need coolers and head gaskets. If you need head gasket make sure you get ARP studs and not the factory torque to yield head bolts. Good Luck to You !!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I replaced the coolant cap I don't loose any more coolant.

One mechanic swapped out the FICM and it wasn't the issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I didn't mean to scare you, I always think worst case. How is the ol girl running??
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Did anyone check your fuel pressure? Low fuel pressure will kill your injectors faster than fast.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'll find out tomorrow. She's at the dealership in Whichita Falls getting a 190.00 diagnostic. Seems kind of pricey but considering what's been going on I hope they will be thorough.

It seems to be a heat related issue to me. Ran absolutely awesome around town, and on the initial 70 miles of towing, but after that she started to get tempermental.

This just really sucks because we are traveling full time, and when the tow vehicle is not running it translates into being stuck in random RV park.

Upside is that I have a great tan from riding my bike for 5 weeks in Florida while it was getting the rocker arm fixed.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Hope they can get you back on the road soon.
Not a lot of fun being on a RV trip and having
to put the truck in the shop. Good luck.
Doug
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good news is I am getting really good at replacing injectors while parked in RV campgrounds.

Bad news is I am getting really good at replacing injectors while parked in Rv campgrounds.

I took a bunch of video and pictures. I may write a cheap ebook for other newbies like myself who need extra instructions and help.

For example the simple advice of "be very careful with the oil rail bolts if you are doing #7. If you drop it it could take 5 hours out of your life" would have been very helpful.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 AM
information regurgitator

You should go back to that Ford dealer and buy part number 3C3Z-9T517-AG. That is the updated fuel pressure regulator spring kit. It sounds as though you have low fuel pressure and that kit is to replace the stock one, which is known to weaken and allow pressure to fall to dangerously low conditions. You can buy it from Tousley Ford for $51.70, but I wouldn't wait for the shipping. You need that thing now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.