Sea Foam Questions in 6.0 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sea Foam Questions in 6.0 PSD

I would like to know how most people use Sea Foam in their diesel fuel filter. I am buying this 2004 6.0 PSD for a cheap price and a Ford mechanic had informed me of using Sea Foam to try to clear up the problem, but to also change the fuel filters and do an oil change. The guy I am buying from is not sure when the last oil or fuel filter change as it was his dads and he has passed away. But I have had 7.3 PSD before but not accustomed to the 6.0 PSD. The problem is that it seems sluggish and then when you get out on the highway doing 70 mph in overdrive, you can feel a slight miss, but if you let it drop to around 1600 rpm on the highway, you can feel the miss better. So, do you take the fuel filter out and fill it with Sea foam, and then cap it without the filter and start and run the truck or what? I will be changing the filters after I do this treatment as well as an oil change. Oh, by the way, if I put Power Service fuel treatment in with the fuel it seems to clean up this miss so that is why I am trying this. Has anyone ever used Sea Foam in their oil for about 30 minutes before changing the oil and filter, becausde Sea Foam seems to reccomend this as well. I know Sea Foam did wonders for the gas engines, but I would like to hear all opinions. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't remember why, but I was told not to use it in a 6.0. I used it in my 97, not sure it did anything though.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanmikesf View Post
Has anyone ever used Sea Foam in their oil for about 30 minutes before changing the oil and filter, becausde Sea Foam seems to reccomend this as well. I know Sea Foam did wonders for the gas engines, but I would like to hear all opinions. Have a nice day.
From what I've read so far, the general concensus is absolutely not to use it in your oil, however, use in the fuel bowl should be o.k.

I have not tried it yet myself, although I may very soon.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM

NEVER NEVER NEVER use it in your oil.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i was told not to use it in fuel also because it dries fuels out and thats what makes diesel diesel, so you dont want to run sea foam
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

your better off trying some revx to clear it up as it may just be some stiction.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay guys, I put in the Power Services additive into the fuel and it does not seem to help the slight miss when I am at a steady highway speed, usually around 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm. I have changed all the fuel filters, air filter, oil and oil filter, and also put this PS stuff into the fuel, but it is still slightly missing at a steady higway speed. I was also told today that drivers battery only is showing 540 CCA and the passenger side is showing 432 CCA, could this cause problems of some sort? Please help me figure this out as the diesel techs said until the check engine light comes on then I can NOT get codes, but that he can do test which could be upwards of $300 and he might be able to tell me then what it MIGHT possibly be, but he stated that his testing sometimes does not find the exact problem the first time and this is a Ford tech. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Tell us more about ur truck. Whats the history here?? Weak batteries are a well known FICM KILLER!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More info

This is a 2004 f250 6.0 diesel with 234,000 miles. Something I did forget is that sometimes I can start the truck after going into a store for 30 minutes and then go to start the truck after leaving the store and it will sometimes seem like a little miss. But if I turn the truck off after 15 minutes and restart it, then most of the times the miss at idle will vanish, but the miss is still slightly there on the highway when I level my speed out. I no have problem of acceleration. But in park, from running on idle and revving motor to 3000 rpms real fast makes it blow a very small amount of black smoke, but at the same time I have the Power Servicde additive in the fuel too. The Ford tech had never told me about batteries being a problem, but that he thinks it might be a sticky injector, but he would have to charge upward of $300 just for the test and he is not sure if the test will pinpoint the problem. Any help on this would be appreciated. I will replace the batteries tomorrow for sure.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanmikesf View Post
Okay guys, I put in the Power Services additive into the fuel and it does not seem to help the slight miss when I am at a steady highway speed, usually around 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm. I have changed all the fuel filters, air filter, oil and oil filter, and also put this PS stuff into the fuel, but it is still slightly missing at a steady higway speed. I was also told today that drivers battery only is showing 540 CCA and the passenger side is showing 432 CCA, could this cause problems of some sort? Please help me figure this out as the diesel techs said until the check engine light comes on then I can NOT get codes, but that he can do test which could be upwards of $300 and he might be able to tell me then what it MIGHT possibly be, but he stated that his testing sometimes does not find the exact problem the first time and this is a Ford tech. Thanks for your time.
Yeah, thats a problem. Buy 2 new batteries at least 900CCA (optima yellow tops are nice).
Check your battery connections, fully charge the new batteries before installing them, then you might as well go ahead and check the FICM.
Heres a link for that, but don't bother using those batteries.
<LINK>

If your sticky injector continues, change your oil to a full synthetic 5W40 (such as the Rotella T6 availabe at walmart), add a quart or two of rev-x. That might work, alot of guys have had good results using that product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.