FICM issues.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM issues..

I'm a new owner of a 2005 6.0 Excursion, while I am far from being well versed on the 6.0 PowerStroke, my brother and best friend have been 7.3 guys for a while. Bro is soon to be upgrading and will most likely get a 6.0 of some sort.

My brother has filled me in on some of the 6.0 research he's been doing, EGR cooler problems, head bolt issues, and $800 FICM's.

My truck has 103,000mi on it, the EGR cooler was just replaced at a Ford dealer a day before I bought it (1 wk ago). and I wasted no time on spending some dough. I installed a SCT Livewire programmer, street tune(85hp I think), SCT's EGT sensor kit, shut off the EGR, and a AirRaid air filter. I have a down/cat delete pipe on order. Thats about all I was planing on for a while.

Well.. the check engine light came on today. Checked codes and got a PO611 and 5 other injector circuit low voltage codes. Looks like a FICM issue. I'm going to check the voltage as soon as I'm done posting.

My question is, did the tune push the FICM over the hill? Was it going to go anyway? I spent a couple minutes before signing up to the site researching the FICM, whats the best route? CircuitBoardMedics.com a way to go?

Any help would be appreciated

LE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

48.2vdc key on, 47.8vdc running. If you rev the engine and hold a higher rpm I saw the voltage drop into the high 30's.. Going bad??

LE
Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your voltages look good for Key on and running. The voltage you really need to pay attention to is when the truck is actually cranking. Also, the 30 volts you are seeing at higher RPM's isn't good. I would say that the FICM is bad and it was already on it's way out. Check these guys out. You can get an FICM with the 58v upgrade for $450 + shipping. Swamp's Webstore - Heavy Duty rebuilt 58v FICM for 6.0L Power Stroke I've installed a few of these and they work great.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I saw swawps come up when I was researching. One post I read said the 58V upgrade might not be the best if towing heavy(boat comes in @ 12500lb). Anythoughts?

LE
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just installed a 58 volt FICM from Swamp's...fixed my cold start issue and injector issues instantly! I would recommend it to anyone. Dealer quoted me $1100 for a new FICM, I got mine for $450 plus $75 installation and it is way better than any FICM you'd get from a dealer
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT View Post
Thanks, I saw swawps come up when I was researching. One post I read said the 58V upgrade might not be the best if towing heavy(boat comes in @ 12500lb). Anythoughts?

LE
There has been some mention of that before and I really don't know the answer. Swamps would be more than willing to answer any and all questions. Really good to deal with. If nothing else, go with the 48v from them which is still a good option and way cheaper than OEM.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
There has been some mention of that before and I really don't know the answer. Swamps would be more than willing to answer any and all questions. Really good to deal with. If nothing else, go with the 48v from them which is still a good option and way cheaper than OEM.
Im going to check cranking voltage today, and get a hold of Swamps. They look like the way to go.

I didnt check codes before installing the programmer, but after clearing the light Sat night it hasnt come back on. But, I did check DTC's twice since then and the PO611 came back, no injector codes this time, no light back on but P2290 popped up the second time I checked. P2290 was one of the codes there when the light came on, but I didnt research it till last night.

Researching, it looks like people who have had a 2290 code have had a high pressure fuel pump, and running issue. The truck has been running great, took a 175mi road trip yesterday, ran it hard a few times.. No light, no running issues.

Can either PO611 or P2290 be a tuning code??

Thanks again for all the help.

LE
Old 04-18-2011, 04:23 AM

go with swamps for the FICM. I just replaced mine on friday night, I opted for the standard 48V with no tuning and it only cost me $430, that includes shipping back to them.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The 58v FICM is fine when towing. That is old info about not towing with the 58v.

You can get your FICM repaired to the stock 48v. for $325 at circuitboardmedics dot com. They also do voltage upgrades but I don't know the cost.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 PM

yes they are cheaper but swamps sent a core so there was no downtime for the daily driver like me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.