EGR insufficient flow code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR insufficient flow code

What does this mean, and what do I need to look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner and my code went away. Has been gone for 2 months.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is this truck an 05+ model? Do you have an EGR delete?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
your pcm looks at inputs like MAF, IAT2 and EBP to detect EGR flow. you need to look at things like biased sensors, your EGR valve being stuck shut, cooler plugged or (if you are not the original owner) an EGR cooler bypass/blockoff. obviously if p0401 is the only code then the valve is still intact and plugged in

an insufficient flow code by itself makes me suspicious. what year is the truck? how long have you owned it?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM

The truck is an 05 and I bought it new. The truck does have an egr delete, and so does my 04 and 07, and they have no codes. Thats what was throwing me off. Im also getting a code for the EBP sensor (sorry, cant remember all the numbers) so that could be part of the problem?

Theres a few more codes that could be part of the problem too. Ill go scan the codes again and post them. The truck runs fine otherwise, just hate that light starring at me.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsuvarna View Post
The truck is an 05 and I bought it new. The truck does have an egr delete, and so does my 04 and 07, and they have no codes. Thats what was throwing me off. Im also getting a code for the EBP sensor (sorry, cant remember all the numbers) so that could be part of the problem?

Theres a few more codes that could be part of the problem too. Ill go scan the codes again and post them. The truck runs fine otherwise, just hate that light starring at me.
03-04 trucks won't trip a "check engine" light with a delete. 05+ trucks are hit and miss on whether they will or won't trip the light. I think you have gotten lucky on the 07 truck and the 05 you didn't. The only way to keep it off is to get an SCT with a custom tune to shut the EGR system off. The EBP sensor could either be dirty causing the code or the wiring harness pigtail could be damaged.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Your probably right. I just checked the codes and got nothing but the 0401 code. A couple weeks ago I was getting an EBP code, I cleared them out at that time. The truck has been drove several thousand miles since I cleared them, so the code should be back if there is a problem with the EBP sensor, right?

Also, a code not related to this, but the 07 fuel gauge acts up at times. I will read nothing and the fuel light comes on. Its giving a code 0460, fuel level sensor A circuit. What does this mean? Sounds like a PITA.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsuvarna View Post
Your probably right. I just checked the codes and got nothing but the 0401 code. A couple weeks ago I was getting an EBP code, I cleared them out at that time. The truck has been drove several thousand miles since I cleared them, so the code should be back if there is a problem with the EBP sensor, right?

Also, a code not related to this, but the 07 fuel gauge acts up at times. I will read nothing and the fuel light comes on. Its giving a code 0460, fuel level sensor A circuit. What does this mean? Sounds like a PITA.
If there is a problem with the EBP sensor then the code will return. You could remove it, clean the sensor and tube and it may never come back. As far as the fuel level sensor circuit, I would say that the sending unit in the tank could be causing the issue.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
theres a tsb for a P0470 ebp code generating only in cold weather due to the tube freezing up. you need the latest calibration to fix that concern

as for the insufficient flow dtc it seems like every truck is different. mine will set the light then a few days later it'll go out

sounds like you need a sending unit on your 07
Old 03-27-2011, 02:28 PM

I think I'll go ahead and clean the ebt sensor and tube. It hasn't ever been cleaned, and I know I've got that code more than once.

I bet the sending unit will take awhile. Its a 1 ton with a utility bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.