HPOP Does this seem correct? Please advise. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Does this seem correct? Please advise.

On 1-25-2011 my 2005 6.0 180.000mi tuck died on the side of road, no warning just died. The code I got was something about injection pressure. Several phone calls and a search or two had me worried it was my HPOP. My business, like our country's economy was in very bad shape, so this was the worst possible time for an expensive repair. To save some money I took it to a diesel mechanic rather than the dealership. He confirmed my suspicions, 2000.00 HPOP parts and labor. Thatís has to be way cheaper than the dealership, everyone in always calling them stealerships right? Well after my save a buck mechanic has it tore down, I call the dealer and they quote me 1700.00 out the door. Now my wheels are really turning, is the mechanic trying get to me. Well I confront him and I get out for 1875.00. Truck runs but cranks for a long time, longer than usual. Mechanic tells me that there is air in the oil and the condition will correct itself with some miles. I am very suspicious at this point, sounded like BS. Truck seems to run good until a few nights ago (3-5-11) dies on side of the road just like last time. I check code, and it is the same one from before, so I have it towed back to mechanic for what I think will be warranty work. The next day he informs me that all the oil is out of truck (all over the underside but the top is dry as a bone). He says there are no external oil lines that they are all internal and that it is more than likely a main seal and has nothing to do with the work he performed with the HPOP. The truck was not leaking or using oil at all and I checked the morning before the second break down. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What is the exact code that it is throwing? It is true that after the high pressure oil system is opened up that it takes several cycles to purge out all the air. I would have suspected that it was just the ICP sensor, since the 2005+ HPOP's don't fail all that often, although the STC fitting on the HPOP's are problematic. What parts were replaced?

BTW, rear main seals aren't a likely failure on these engines although I should mention that mine was leaking and was replaced about 50k miles ago. The diesel mechanic's claim about no external oil lines is true and his story sounds plausible, although I would want more information to substantiate his claim.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am not a 6.0 man but some thing sounds fishy to me. Heres a bump for ya! Hope you get it worked out.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
What is the exact code that it is throwing? It is true that after the high pressure oil system is opened up that it takes several cycles to purge out all the air. I would have suspected that it was just the ICP sensor, since the 2005+ HPOP's don't fail all that often, although the STC fitting on the HPOP's are problematic. What parts were replaced?

BTW, rear main seals aren't a likely failure on these engines although I should mention that mine was leaking and was replaced about 50k miles ago. The diesel mechanic's claim about no external oil lines is true and his story sounds plausible, although I would want more information to substantiate his claim.
I cant remember the exact code injection control pressure I think. HPOP was the only part he replaced. Thanks for your input, I have spent almost 4000.00 in the last six months trying to keep this thing on the road.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Slacker

There are several ICP codes, so it would be helpful if you knew which one. Are you sure he didn't also replace the STC fitting? Can you check his service sheet/invoice? Maybe it would have the ICP code and confirm what parts were replaced. It sounds like he is reasonably well-versed in the 6.0L operation and common failure points, so I would have expected that the STC would have been replaced as well as confirm the dummy plugs in the oil rails. Regardless, we will try to help you out.

# P1209 Injection Control System Pressure Peak Fault
# P1210 Injection Control Pressure Above Expected Level
# P1211 ICP Not Controllable - Pressure Abow/Below Desired
# P1212 ICP Voltage Not at Expected Level
# P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low
# P1281 ICP Circuit Out of Range High
# P1282 Excessive ICP
# P1263 IPR Circuit Failure
# P1284 ICP Failure - Aborts KOER or CCT Test
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was using my programmer to pull code and my best guess would be p1209.
On the invoice it says ICP low. List of parts: pump 892.37, regulator 315.50, grease?12.00, o'ring 13.14
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Slacker

HPOP and IPR sound like they were replaced and no mention of STC fitting. That surprises me and I would ask him why. The latest STC fitting (released in 2007) is a much improved design over the prior 2 versions and should be replaced whenever you have the opportunity.

BTW, low/no oil pressure will result in low ICP. It may be that your diesel mechanic is telling you the truth.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you very much.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

what was the oil psi when cranking the truck over. sounds like it might have just been a ipr valve. hpop's are not that common for going out. not saying they dont but what test's did your mech do to say the hpop is shot?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

Mechanic called and said that the ICP o-ring between valve cover was blown. The price 292.50 out the door. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.