03 6.0 issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 issues

Ok not too sure where to start. I have am 03 6.0 with 140K on it. I bought it used in the end of July. First time I towed with it I got a coughing sound from what sounded like the air box area wile towing a 7k trailer up a small hill and check engine light came on popped code for EGR valve so I changed it and all good for a bit. I get the cough sound every so often while towing, it happens right around 60 MPH and 2500 RPM. I do not have any pods or gauges other than the stock ones. When it does happen my fuel economy goes to crap so I finally took it today. They want 300-400 just to trouble shoot and tell me what’s wrong. Not fix the problem it is just to find the problem. They said it is either high oil pressure or low fuel pressure causing it. I asked if the recall about reprogramming the computer would cause it or if it was an issue I was told that they never heard of that being a problem. This is my first diesel and I know just enough to get the feeling the guy is trying to take me. Am I on the right track or could it really be one of those issues? If so where is a good place to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check engine light

You should check is there engine light on or any pending code in there?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No codes or light. I check for pending codes and codes that pop. I haven't had any codes or light since the EGR valve change.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, only towing got this problem. No tow is fine right? When You chage EGR did You clean the EGR port also? HPOP is possible, fuel had water, air are also possible. PCM had no recall on this one.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Only happens while towing. I do notice one thing when I select tow haul mode I feel a big diffeance while driving with or without a load on it. The truck feels to be slugish. I know it changes the gearing on the tranny so it wont shift as fast but on other trucks I had I could not really notice a differance while driving it normally. I picked it up from the dealer last night and he was telling me they think it is a fuel issue and an injector intermittenly going bad and it will be around 600-800 to fix. I live in a small town an dthe dealers and repair shops here have a bad rap so I dont trust them. I did clean the port best I could i did not change the pulg to the EGR valve. What is HPOP? I also had the dealer change all the fuel fliters as well. he did say I need to change alot more regularly. I bought the truck used in late July and the dealer said that they changed all the fluids and filter before they put it on the lot.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HPOP= high pressure oil pump. Fuel injector went bad? Did he told you which cylinder or not? Usually injector won't get bad on 8 at once. So which one is it? What is the dyno test result when they finished, did they show you? Your symptom like other post. He end up change FCIM end up good. But what I am trying to say is everybody had similar symptom but dyno test result can talk. Since You already dyno by them, they should told which exactly need to replace. I hope its not end up with trans solenoied, maybe i'm wrong because it will through out code with EGR first, but people change EGR and later tranny code come on. Your truck is 4x4 right?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM= fuel injector control module. Try this link. Becarful not fry out the module.
http://www.bscustoms.net/diesel/FICM.pdf
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Check ficm voltage, fuel filters, and fuel pressure. Get the blue spring upgrade for fuel pressure regulator. I have heard many speak of rev-ex to prolong the death of sticking or failing injectors. Never needed the stuff myself, but heard many with good reports.

The 6.0 needs clean oil, clean fuel at constant pressure, consistent voltage from ficm, and some good luck to run at peak.

Goood luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They did not give me any test results. The miliage was only 2.3 miles from when I took it in. I told they did the check as a favor to me so they did not charge me for those test. I did an oil and fuel filter change on it. As far as an injector how can I tell if one is going bad? I printed the stuff to to check the voltage for the FICM. What is the blue spring upgrade and is it pretty easy to do? I also was looking at the post about the EBP valve and line cleaning which I am going to do when I get home this weekend. If it is broke I will spend the money to fix right I just dont want to be nickled and dimmed to death.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Rest assured - 6.0's NEVER nickle and dime you to death. They are always $50 & $100 bills! Not trying to scare you - I have an early '03 6.0 and though I have dumped a rediculious amount of money in my truck in the last 2 years - I love my truck!

What area do you live in - first - you need to find a GOOD TRUSTABLE mechanic that knows these 6.0's. VERY important. Not just any mechanic will do. Chances are someone on here will know of someone that can help you better then the help you are currently getting.

I'm also curious what is the blue-spring upgrade???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.