replaced egr cooler and oil cooler. now wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replaced egr cooler and oil cooler. now wont start

I have read several post that is takes a lot of cranking to build up the oil preasure after replacing the oil cooler. My question is what is a lot? I crank for 30 seconds at a time then let sit for about 20 - 30 seconds before the next crank and have drained the batterys 2 times now (with a charger on them when cranking) and I am starting to think there is another problem. The first time I tried to start after I got everything back together is fired twice for only about 2-3 seconds and now all I get is cranking. I have double and triple checked the conections and could use some help. I just want some advice before I take every thing apart again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

cycle the key and listen to the fuel pump under the drivers frame rail. When it shuts off, cycle the key again. Do that about 5 times to make sure the fuel is there. Then just crank away. I killed my batts as well. I didn't think it would ever start. Then it fired up after about 45 minutes of cranking. It will have long crank times for a few days too. It has to get all of the air out of the system. Once it is running, drive it around for a while and that will decrease the amount of cranking in the future. Mine was back to normal in about 4 days.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
if you allowed some dirt/grime ect from servicing the oil cooler to fall into the cooler reservior, it immediatly gets sucked into the pump and then into your ipr valve causing damage to it. if all else fails and it still wont start, pull the ipr valve out and check the screen for damage/debris.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have since taken off the turbo again to inspect the ipr screen. There was no debris/damage. One thing I did notice the plug on the ipr for the wire connection was loose. I can move it side to side about 1/8 or 1/4 inch. Is that normal or is that bad and my problem? I did put every thing back together again and did a couple crank cycles and still wont start. So now whats next
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

That connector on the ipr itself will move. That is normal. It just takes alot of cranking. About how long have you been turning it over? Are you getting any fuel to the secondary filter? Did you make sure you hooked everything back up? FICM plugged in? Just do a once over on everything, tug on all the connectors to make sure they are all seated..
Can you pull any codes?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been doing 1-2 minute crank cycles ( usualy until I can tell the batteries are getting weak then let sit to charge up again) and I would have to guess I have done at least 10. Only 3 since I had the turbo off last night to check that ipr and inspect everything again. No codes. I have fuel to the secondary filter and have been hearing the fuel pump working. I going to try some more today, but I starting to think there is something else going on.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the FICM harness again. It takes quite a bit of pressure to get it to lock down like it should. I found this out firsthand. That could be it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.