ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Military Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL

Hey everyone. I have a 2005 F-250 6.0. I was hauling our 20' horse trailer acrossed the state and hit a poorly paved stretch of interstate. Nothing violent just repeated bumps (kind of like you going through turbulance on an airplane). During those bumps a wrench was illuminated on my dash. I assumed it was a check engine light and pulled over at the next exit and plugged my programmer into it to read the code. I turned off my truck (as per the programmer) and turned it to the run position so the scanner can read the code. As I looked up at the dash, the light was gone... . So I got on the road again and about 15 miles down the road, and it happened again. Then, I pulled over and did it again. Same thing. The light went away. So I was somewhat concerned with it and finally got home and kept an eye on the truck in the mean time. Well 2 weeks later, I was sitting in my truck eating lunch and had the key in the run possition and as usual several lights were on like the ABS, Airbag, Battery, and the ACTUAL check engine light. At this point I knew for a fact that wrench I saw was not a check engine light. I looked it up in the manual and it said its the Electronic Throttle Control and that the truck was in a limp home state.. What could cause this? I had my truck in a tuned setting specific for towing. Could that cause that and should I be nervous for my truck? Thanks for the help everyone!

PS: Sorry for the novel

Pepp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I notice that you posted this thread back in March. I just bought a 2006 F250 with the 6.0L and just had the same problem. Was wondering if you were able to get any answers to this problem? I noticed on my truck, that after it threw that wrench symbol that ever since the truck has been very sluggish off the line. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright, I bought mine a couple of weeks ago same thing. Came on after about 20 mins on the road and would go off with the key. Last week my EGR cooler had a nice failure. I've got a personal sauna coming out my tailpipe. I was told it was from the "throttle body" at the dealership....ugh can we say BS? Guess what I'm sayin is that if you haven't already, I'd do an EGR delete and oil cooler upgrade ASAP. just to possibly prevent head gasket failure! Trust me better to do it on your terms than the crappy motor of ours terms
Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Military Member

MBahrEco12,

Sorry for the delayed response to your question. I did find out what the problem was. Come to find out it was a difference in temp between my EGR cooler and oil cooler. To basically give you an idea, (these figures are not exact however are close) Ford had set peramiters on what the two should read and what should trigger a fault. Originally Ford has set a 30 or so degree difference between the two (EGR cooler should read 300 and oil cooler should read no more than +/- 30 degrees). If the tempetures between the two (EGR and Oil cooler) were 31 +/- degrees in difference, you would see the wrench light come on. Well as the years went by and new computer updates for the truck came out, they made that peramiter more and more refined. I believe the new update is around 15 degrees difference, again not 100% sure but I think its close. My ERG was scensing a temperature that was different from my oil cooler and triggered the light. When that light comes on, your truck enters into whats called a "limp-home mode". I know what your thinking, "Holy $hit what does that mean?" Nothing to be REAL worried about, its just the engines way of saving its self and still giving you the ability to "limp" home. You definitally don't want to run the truck for thousands of miles with that on because that WILL cause serious issues. The way that I had this problem fixed was to have the oil cooler replaced (that was the problem child). Since my mechanic was already under there replacing that, I had him replace the EGR cooler because it would be due very soon because my truck has over 150k miles (I should have put an delete on there but oh well ) costing me about $1,500 parts/labor and a case of the mans favorite beer (my mechanic from the local dealer helped me out and did it at his house). Your truck will consume more fuel and will be terrible on stop and go's due to the fact the engine is trying to save you a walk to the nearest shop. Just to throw a wench in things, no pun intended, this light can be emitted for a number of things such as bad air flow scensor and more. Unfortunitally you just need to have Ford plug it in and have them run a test. Best to ask while your there how much it will be and when they give you a price, tell them that you cant pay that right then and see if they can help you out. It really only takes them like 10 mins to do with their little laptop. Hope i didnt loose you htere. Thats a lot of information at once. Please keep me in touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.