ICP sensor replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP sensor replacement

I have a small oil leak coming somewhere from top back of block. I'm suspecting it's the ICP sensor. I'm not having any driveability issues yet but I'm wondering if I should change it sooner rather than later. The kicker here is that I'm going on a 4000+k trip soon and I don't want any issues on the road but I don't know if I'll have time to do it before I go. How long might it last after first signs of oil leak?
Also, what all is involved in replacing it? How difficult is it? What all has to be removed to gain access to it? Truck has 129,000Kms. (80,000 mi.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i did mine not too long ago. its not that bad. you need to remove the degas bottle, ficm and bracket, and maybe remove the grounding screw at the back of the intake manifold to save your knuckles
are you sure its the sensor? usually the truck will have driving issues like revving up at a stop light on its own. its very hard to tell where its coming from but i suspect you are seeing it at the bell housing or back area of the motor??
when the sensor finally let go on mine, i was losing oil at a rate of 1 litre per 50kms of highway driving.
clarence
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM

I always do it from underneath. Take off the heat shield on the rear of the engine (3 bolts) unhook the connector and use a cut-off closed end wrench and there's nothing to it. I forget what size it is.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the responses. No, I am not sure that it is the ICP sensor. Any suggestions as to what else it could be? I did have a more serious leak before this. I replaced the turbo drain tube and that fixed most of it. The oil I'm seeing now is showing on the bell housing, mostly on the drivers side. Could it be the IPR or even the HPOP cover?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ccf350 View Post
i did mine not too long ago. its not that bad. you need to remove the degas bottle, ficm and bracket, and maybe remove the grounding screw at the back of the intake manifold to save your knuckles
are you sure its the sensor? usually the truck will have driving issues like revving up at a stop light on its own. its very hard to tell where its coming from but i suspect you are seeing it at the bell housing or back area of the motor??
when the sensor finally let go on mine, i was losing oil at a rate of 1 litre per 50kms of highway driving.
clarence
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpu1983 View Post
I always do it from underneath. Take off the heat shield on the rear of the engine (3 bolts) unhook the connector and use a cut-off closed end wrench and there's nothing to it. I forget what size it is.
When you guys did yours, did you also change the pigtail connector? If so, did that involve cutting and splicing it into the harness? I would think that you would need a lot of parts removed to get access to make the splice. Or is it just connectors at each end?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 AM

Just changed it last week. I did it from underneath. the hardest part was getting the heat shield off, but once I did, the sensor was easy to get at. I used an old 1 1/16" box end wrench that I cut down to about 5". You need skinny arms to do it this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.