Fuel Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Mileage

So I need any help anyone can give me on this. I have 2006 F-250 6.0, had it since December. I am currently getting 7 mpg and that's not pulling or hauling anything. I bought a programmer for it thinking that would help and it hasn't. Not leaking fuel and it's not running rough nor is it blowing black smoke. I've racked my brain trying to figure this out.
I should be getting at least 15 mpg if not better. I had a 2004 duramax company truck and with a programmer was getting 20 mpg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

First question is how much idle time? Second thing I would do if it was on my hoist is make sure there are no codes stored in it. Third question is what is you driving habbits? Hard on throttle and brakes, or do you baby it? Fourth, where do you drive, city or highway and how fast on highway? Fifth, where are you getting your fuel from and have you tried any cetane booster? Do you have an add-ons such as a lift, bigger tires, or any body add-ons? What are your rpm's at 60 mph?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

are u calculating this with paper and pencil or using the trucks computer?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is usually parked in the garage, or if it isn't I plug it in so idle time is minimal. I have no codes, I drive mostly city and I don't baby it but I also don't romp on it. It does have a 3" lift, and 285's. I get my fuel where ever it's cheap, especially now that it's outrageous. I run power service in most of my tanks. My RPM's are less than 2000 at 60mph.
The tank of fuel im on currently I have 250 miles, and it's under 1/4 tank. I have a 35 gallon tank. Could injectors cause this????

With my Duramax I use to get better fuel mileage than this when I was towing 15,000lbs.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Sorry to tell you this but you have 3 things that are working to your disadvantage. The lift creates more wind drag, the bigger tires might be hurting you, and the city driving is probably the worst thing for your fuel mileage. Are you calculating this by hand or are you reading the fuel economy gauge in the truck? I'll only buy my fuel at truck stops or places that they sell lots of diesel, and that is my recommendation to everyone who asks me. I doubt that injectors would cause this unless your truck is rolling some sort of smoke.

I am going to give you some friendly advise. If you don't run it hard enough you could end up with issues with the egr valve or turbo carboning up. Also make sure that you keep good batteries in your truck. Weak batteries will take out your fuel injector control module (ficm).
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not 100% saying your wrong about the lift, but to get 7-8 mpg with a programmer on economy setting, there has to be something wrong. Something somewhere isn't right. One thing I notice on cold mornings when I start it, there is a rattle in the very front of the truck on right side behind the radiator. It goes away after a while but it's very noticeable.

When I bought the truck in December I found out some jack wagon put the wrong dip stick in it so there was 4 quarts of oil more than there should have been. Could this cause anything???

ALso I've been figuring the mileage with pen and paper, my truck doesn't have the economy crap anyway.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure how the wrong di stick could have found its way in there? sounds like trouble. have jacked up the wheels to make sure they have free spin. i would also check teh rear diff fluild. i would suspect there is some mobility restricktion
Old 02-26-2011, 05:13 PM

I have a 3" lift with 285's on 20's and I average about 15 with a lot of up hill driving. Something is absolutely wrong. I would imagine extra oil can cause some of it but not half the mileage. When you say you have no codes, what are you checking it with? It may be worth it to get the Auto Enginuity and check all you can with that. If you find something the fuel saving will pay for it pretty quick. Do you have plenty of power? Maybe your A/C compressor has a problem and is bogging you down.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

I'm admittedly NOT a mechanic, but my '05 has a 4" lift, 285's and is almost all city driving . I get an average of 15.2 mpg, this is calculated not from the gauge in the truck. There is something wrong with your truck. I'm using an economy tune with an SCT Live
Old 02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Make sure there's no brakes dragging. I have seen a few rear calipers stick and burn the rear brakes out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.