Questions/Problems after EGR Delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions/Problems after EGR Delete

Egr delete done. Picked up from shop and drove about 10 miles on pretty low fuel and filled at local station. Ran ok on the way there. When I started engine after fuel, rough idle and no power (barely dragged itself up on ramp to hwy.

Limped it home and added cetane fuel additive in case it was bad fuel. Checked MAP sensor, and ran turbo relearn procedure. Took it for 15 mile test drive. Very rough idle and no power for 12 miles. Almost died couple of times. After about 12 miles, ran like a race car. Good power, good boost, crazy acceleration.

Let it sit for about an hour and tried again. Ran ok at low end, but would barely pull itslef past 70 mph on the high end. Turbo seems to be cycling fine, feels like missing on one or two cylinders.

I'm going to test FICM voltage tonight and add diesel 911 in case it is really only bad fuel. Going to make sure all injectors are fully connected to harness and harness to ficm.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks. JRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM

In addition to EGR delete, I also had the following mods/work done:

New oil cooler
New radiator and heater hoses (contaminated from previous oil cooler rupture)
Flush fill w/ELC
Coolant filter
Clean turbo
Fuel regulator upgrade (blue spring)
Replace injectors 4, 5, 7
Oil/filter change (Mobil 1 15w 40)
Fuel filters new last oil change (4000 miles)
Pressure tested coolant system and heads/gaskets are ok (still stock gaskets and bolts)

I noticed that the EGR valve is still in place and plugged in. Should it be present and plugged in after delete?

After over $2200 for the above listed repairs it should run like a scalded dog. Instead it runs like a one eyed, three legged dog with arthritis draging a two story dog house on a 20 foot log chain.

Many thanks again. JRH

Last edited by herman07; 02-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The egr valve can still be present and plugged in, its most common to leave it in, its not flowing and egr anymore but keeping it plugged in will keep from setting unnecessary dtc's.

Because you had injectors replaced it could simply be air in the HP oil system that needs to work itself out. If possible let it idle for a good while and drive it some more…it might just go away. (ill cross my fingers for ya).

Sometimes when the oil cooler is removed as it was in your case....dirt/debris or grit can get into the high pressure oil supply. When the engine is reassembled and started the debris makes its way to the IPR and causes running problems/IPR sticking. Im not saying this is what your problem is but its very common. Ford has/had a special service message (SSM) on this and it warned techs to clean the area around the oil cooler before removing. SSM 20451.
If it continues to happen see if there are any codes setting. If there is any HP oil system codes such as a P2291 its probably the IPR.
There is also some talk about IPR damage after oil cooler replacement just because air gets in and the system "loses prime"....some say its best to fill the oil filter housing manually before starting after oil cooler replacement or crank with the ipr unplugged...I cannot vouch for this but I have read it on the Ford tech message boards.

If you end up having to replace the IPR…don’t blame the technician…..its really not likely to be his fault.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skota8336 View Post
Sometimes when the oil cooler is removed as it was in your case....dirt/debris or grit can get into the high pressure oil supply. When the engine is reassembled and started the debris makes its way to the IPR and causes running problems/IPR sticking. Im not saying this is what your problem is but its very common. Ford has/had a special service message (SSM) on this and it warned techs to clean the area around the oil cooler before removing. SSM 20451.
If it continues to happen see if there are any codes setting. If there is any HP oil system codes such as a P2291 its probably the IPR.
There is also some talk about IPR damage after oil cooler replacement just because air gets in and the system "loses prime"....some say its best to fill the oil filter housing manually before starting after oil cooler replacement or crank with the ipr unplugged...I cannot vouch for this but I have read it on the Ford tech message boards.

If you end up having to replace the IPR…don’t blame the technician…..its really not likely to be his fault.
The quoted text above, is the exact reason why I like to remove the high pressure oil pump whenever the oil cooler is removed for whatever reason, and blow some air into the channel under the reservoir through to the high pressure oil pump inlet to ensure no debris is present upon re-assembly.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Mechanic diagnosed low fuel pressure. Found fuel pump not pumping. Replacing it now. I assume fuel pump = hfcm, but didn't ask. Running out of money and patience. Hope I didn't do any more injector damage driving it that way, about 80 miles. As well as this project has gone thus far, I anticipate replacing them all, even the three that went in two days ago. We'll see.

Last edited by herman07; 02-25-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 AM

New HFCM installed and running great. No more injectors bought the farm as a result of about 80 miles of low fuel pressure. This project got really expensive by the time I got it all done.

Drove from the shop, about 600 miles from KC to Louisville. Did have the battery indicator light flicker a few times when I let out of the throttle, but all seems well. I think one of the battery cables might not have gotten tightened down enough. We'll see.

Thanks to all who replied.

JRH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.