03 6.0 smoking, p0102, p132b ::Long:: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post 03 6.0 smoking, p0102, p132b ::Long::

Thanks to everyone that contributes to the site it has helped me many times. I tried searching and came up without a solid conclusion. If you don't want to read my LONG post skip to bottom for an outline.

Last week my truck was popping and loosing power on acceleration. Codes were p0102 and p0401. I pulled the turbo apart and it was really clean, it was replaced with a reman by the dealer about 2 years ago when it was acting similar. I also clean the MAP tubing and outlet, that was pretty gunked up. The truck ran great for about a week, but still had the 102 code. 401 is gone. I'm checking the codes with a small obdII reader

A few days ago truck started acting up again, popping and no power, maybe no boost, (don't have a guage in the truck) I limped through a snow storm plowing while the truck would pop/burp... and then tried to tackle the p0102 code a day later/yesterday I also had a p0238 code that lasted for a short time and didn't come up when I took it to have the codes read by a snap on reader (he read p0102 and p1408). I checked all the wires for chaffing or cracks and all seemed good. So I splurged and put in a reman MAF sensor and test drove the truck last night, truck drove better right off the bat, but still only at 80% or so, and it would burp once in a while. Cleared code and then it came back.

This morning I go to test drive it, was going to do the VGT relearn after warmed up and for the first 5 minutes driving it was doing well, then I stopped to buy some parts for my other truck and started it and drove off and then I realized it was getting worse, it was smoking white/blue out the tail pipe and power was way down as to not being able to drive above 40mph. Smoking bad so I drove striaght to a local diesel mechanic and he said first thing he would do is change the fuel filters, i changed them 7k ago at 85K, my fuel guage was on E so i thought maybe its getting bad, bottom of the tank fuel and clogging the filters. Drive to NAPA, change filters, pour 911 into tank, drive to next garage to get codes pulled again and now I have a P132B code, I also pulled plug on VVT controler on turbo, fill up and go on my way back to my house. Smokes all the way up the hilll as I limp home (no change in feel with plug disconnected and get to the top of the hill and the smoke lightens up and clears so I keep driving past my turn. Smoking stops, power still way low, no popping like before the MAF sensor change, and I pull over and plug the VVT back in. At this point I see some LITTLE smoke coming from the back of the turbo. Turn around and head back home smoking is back for a little while almost like oil built up as the truck was shut off while I plugged the VVT back in.

Truck in in the drive now awaiting a possible turbo if thats what will fix it.

Truck idles smooth, starts quick, not lossing coolant and the bottle does not seem overly pressurized. Storm coming on friday and need truck fixed soon

P0102
P0401
Inspect turbo (not coked up, no cleaning needed)
Clean MAP hose, gunked up
Codes cleared, truck runs Great

1 Week later
P0102 truck looses power and popping again
p0238 read from my cheap code reader (not seen on snop on reader)
p1408 & p0102 read by snap on reader
Replace MAF sensor and poping is gone power back for about 5 miles
power loss, white.blue smoke pouring out of tail pipe, truck idles smoothly
Read codes P0102 and P132B
Observe a little smoke coming from back of turbo

Will a bad turbo throw a P0102 code?

Thanks for any insight

Adam 2004 ('03 engine) 92,000 miles, no mods, 15w-40 amsoil,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I can check? Thanks

Adam
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Def. Turbo failure

Well I pulled my turbo of and that was the problem, impellar on the exhaust side sheard off and is probably sitting right in front of the catalytic converter right now. Going to order a power max turbo and install that once and for all ::knock on wood::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.