6.0 2003 Powerstrokes "Puffs" (noise) sometimes under load? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 2003 Powerstrokes "Puffs" (noise) sometimes under load?

When pulling up a hill, there are times under a load that I start hearing a "puffin" sound that you can hear on the drivers side, when I let off the throttle and let the load settle down it goes away. Any ideas what causes it? Sometimes it seams like its losing power when it happens.
Any help would be great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What does your degas tank look like? Do you have a lot of white powder residue around the cap?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
EGR valve is coked up
Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, I am not sure what do you mean by "coked up"?
Also hardly any white residue around cap on degas tank.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM

What dhanna6powerstroke is saying is the egr valve is most likely choked up full of soot and the valve is not opening and closing properly. Not real hard to remove, clean and free it up. If it is really clogged up, it can be a little hard in getting it to come out after you remove bolts. You have to twist it while pulling up on the valve. If you are gentle and don't bite down very hard on it, you can use some water pump pliers to help free it up, but don't get crazy with them. After it is out clean all the junk out of it then work the valve open and closed manually to help get it operating properly.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Before you tear it apart, the 6.0 has a VGT (variable geometry turbo) and when it builds excess boost, since it doens't have a blow off valve to release it, it does exactly what you're hearing, it releases it through the intake which is why you hear it on the drivers side.

It "could" be an EPB/EGR problem depending on the conditions. Towing, on a grade like you describe, is the most common place for you to hear it and may be perfectly normal. If you notice when it happens, your RPM's are probably low. The motor can't use the boost it's calling for. If you downshift and get the RPM's up (kick it down or sometimes just use T/H for the grade to get the RPM's up) it won't generally won't over boost.

You can also "make it" do that by hammering the throttle and letting off real fast. You're telling it to create a lot of boost so the VGT responds, then you leave the motor not able to use that boost so it burps.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks JKTex. That is exactly what happens (usually while towing on a long grade), what I usually do when I hear it is actually left off the throttle and it goes away.
But this last weekend, when it happened last I didn''t let off fast enough and the tube on the passengerside from the intercooler to the turbo blew off with a LOUD bang, was able to put back on (in the pouring rain) and the clamp fell on the ledge so got back under way.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM

JKTex has made a good assessment however, based on what you said is, your getting the noise during throttle application and not after release of throttle, correct? Do you run in Tow/Haul mode? If not, do as JKTex suggested. Use the Tow/Haul for greater rpm on demand and see what it does.

Also, your tube blew off because of oil residue building up inside your tube. To fix it, take the tube loose on both ends and clean the oil residue out with a cleaner and do the same to the other attach points with a rag and cleaner on it. When finished, re-install. This will hold you over.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I am getting it when the engine sounds like its working mid to hard, the second I release the throttle and let off, the "puffing" noise goes away. I am in the Tow/Haul mode.
Usually happens on a long grade. I usually can only hear it when I have the drivers side window open.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My '03 Excursion 6.0 was doing the same thing and it got worse as time went on. The variable turbo vanes were sticking and I had to replace the turbo. I've been running with the new turbo for about 5000 miles and the problem has not re-ocurred. Be sure to replace the actuator valve and the oil supply and return tubes on the turbo if you replace the turbo. You should also change the oil at the same time. I found a remanufactured turbo from an online Ford parts dealer that came with a 12 mo, 12000 mile warranty good at any Ford dealer for $1,100.00. Due to an after purchase injury I was not able to install it myself. Installation at a Ford dealer cost $850.00 which included a new actuator, oil supply line and an oil change. If it is determined that your turbo is bad shop around... I was quoted as high as $3000.00 for a turn-key job and as high as $1700.00 for just the turbo (Part only).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.