P0273 #5 injector, HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0273 #5 injector, HELP! *UPDATE*

I threw my first code today. The Mrs. and I went to dinner, and as we pulled up my truck started to sputter a little. Once I parked it I realized that it sounded and felt like it was missing. I revved it a couple times and it eventually went back to it's normal idle.

After dinner we hopped in and she fired right up. Halfway home I realized the check engine light was on. When we got home I pulled a P0273 #5 injector code (thanks to a very cool neighbor who is a mechanic).

I've been reading up on this issue and the best info I've found is in this thread battery light and #5 injector - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com The only problem is that without more specific info, this is kinda like a second language to me. I'm mechanically inclined, and am a low voltage technician by trade, but I am having a hard time determining which wire is which without any diagrams or pictures.

I fired up the truck again and wiggled each of the plugs that go into the passanger side valve cover, but could not duplicate the misfire I had experienced earlier. Which one of the plugs would be for injector #5? Is it closest to the firewall, bumper or one of the two in between?

My truck is a 2004 6.0L with a little more than 60,000 miles. According to the OASIS report the only issues it has had was...I believe it was an IDM/FICM issue that was replaced under warranty just last year. The original warranty has expired, and while the truck has obviously been well used, it appears to have been maintained well. No egr issues, and runs strong. If it matters, it is a CC LB FX4, and besides the lift kit the truck is otherwise stock.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance in troubleshooting the issue. I'm hoping it's just a bad wiring harness and that I don't have to replace my injectors. Just in case, what is the average going rate for replacing injectors? I'm not equipped to do this at home so I'll probably have to pay someone.

Thanks,

BLD.

Last edited by BLD; 02-23-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would try syn oil and rev-x maybe just stiction.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 AM

#5 Injector would be the 3rd cylinder or plug, going back on the passenger side. Sounds as though you have an intermittent which could be a dirty injector. RevX is good at helping stiction, but does nothing for dirty injector. A fuel additive would be a good idea to help in cleaning an injector. Power Service, Stanadyne and Lucas make good fuel additives for cleaning and lubricating injectors. Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Improver is another product for dirty injectors. When is the last time you changed the fuel filters?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the records I have, I can't find anything regarding replacing the fuel filters. I should probably do that soon anyway. Do you have to drain the fuel out of the tank and the lines to change the fuel filters?

I've been using Power Service Diesel fuel treatment + cetane boost regularly (the white bottle) mainly because I take the truck to the snow several times a month and don't want to worry about gelling or moisture getting in the fuel.

Once I get my strenght back (went snowboarding yesterday) I'll climb back under the hood and check the 3rd plug from the front, and check my fuel filters.

Last edited by BLD; 02-21-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: wrong fuel additive.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, a trip to the dealer and $108 later I bought some Motorcraft fuel filters and replaced them in the driveway. My neighbor let me use his reader to clear the code. The fuel filters that were in it were pretty dark in color. I took it for a quick spin and it ran smoothly and didn't throw another code. Next step is to check the wiring harness for any shorts or chafing.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Well if the fuel filters were pretty dark then they were dirty. I run the Lucas injector cleaner on every fill up and have no problems with my injectors. I don't think you'll find a plug or a loose wire on your harness, but it doesn't hurt to look. I think you had a clogged injector based on the fact that your filters were that dirty.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree. The old small filter was a dark amber color, and the old large filter was a little lighter in color, but nowhere near the nice bright color that the new ones were. It may just be me, but now the truck seems to sound different and run a little smoother. She purrs like a 10,000 lb kitten now.

I've filled up with the Power Service additive all but three times. Each time i didn't I noticed a stutter or surge at some point. Also, just before this happened the other day, I had filled my tank up but hadn't used any additive. The tank was lower than I usually run it (try to fill up at a quarter tank). I'm hoping that I just sucked up something nasty that clogged an injector.

On a lighter note, my wiring harness/plugs all look great. Nothing is loose or corroded.

For your entertainment: When you pull your injector wiring harness plugs, wait until the engine is cool before trying to insert the spring clip (part # W301222) back in. Because the truck was so warm from my earlier test run, I tried to use needle nose pliers to re-insert the spring clip and pop, I dropped it beneath the fuel rail. I was able to hook it with some wire and once I got my paws on it I fumbled and dropped it again. After looking for 2 hours using my dental mirror I gave up and called every stealership in the area. After a 2 hour round trip in holiday traffic, the new clip snapped in nice and easy.

This brings me to my last comment. The stealership closest to me (Roseville) wanted over $400 for the wiring harness 9D930, while the other dealership in Sacramento wanted less than $300 and was more than willing to print me several diagrams of the injection system to aid in future troubleshooting. If I do need a new harness, injectors or any other parts for that matter I know where I'll be going to buy them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM

If you get to know some of the folks behind the counter they'll usually cut you some slack. There is a nice kid that works at a dealer parts about 8 miles from me and he always cuts me deals on parts I have to get at the dealer. Also, you need to stop into Harbor Freight and buy you a couple of magnet extenders. They are great in finding and picking up the nuts, bolts, screws and other metal pieces (less aluminum), that you drop in the valley...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

deucer, I hope I don't become familiar enough with the parts dept to get any discounts, but that may not be the case with a 6.0 in my driveway. I bought a Superduty because I didn't wan't to deal with the headache of trashing my gasser towing our boat all summer long. For what it's worth my '06 150 treated us very well (before the boat).

I tried the magnet trick, I pulled a rare earth magnet out of my work van (extremely powerful magnet) and it stuck to everything except the spring clip. It must be aluminum or some other type of non magnetic metal. Working in the security system trade in the past I have a large assortment of magnets to choose from.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM

If you want it to be dependable, keep up with a normal service schedule such as; Oil and filter change, coolant system drain and flush and refill with a Ford Gold Premium or an ELC Concentrate coolant. Make sure you flush the system completely with a good flush chemical and distilled water before switching to an ELC concentrate, if you do decide to switch. Air filter and fuel filters need to be changed on a schedule also.
Things to look out for: Coolant spitting out the degas tank, means over serviced tank or potential egr cooler/oil cooler issues. Rough idle mean potential injector issues such as clogging or dirty. A good fuel additive on each tank will help keep it clean. When the fuel gauge reads below a 1/4 of a tank, find a station and fill it up. Never run it out of fuel. "Kiss of death" for injectors. There are a lot of things you can do to help the performance or maintain reliability in your truck engine, but keeping up with the maintenance schedule is a must for these engines. If you do that, they will remain reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.