no buzz no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no buzz no start

Hi all
not to sure i am posting this in the right section or not but here goes.

I got a 2003 F450 that came in for a no start, hooked the IDS up, just learning this neat little tool, and selected pids to monitor while cranking. All seem to be spot on even fuel presure, 50-55psi. Now batteries are good and on charger. now to make this as short as possible, one of the guys used a gas soked rag useing just the fumes to get is started. While cranking, you can here a great deal of clacking. Got it running and while it was running, put the IDS screen to the cylinder balance. Number 3 and 5 injectors were missing and the unit ran like hell. As the longer it sat there, and idled and reved it up, things smoothed out and it ran like a champ. Took it for a test drive, no issues. Let it sit in the shop over night. Next morning, started it and it ran fine, but the batteries weren't in the best shape so i removed them and waited for new ones to come in. Installed the new batteries and tried to crank. Lots of clacking, but did not use any starting aid. Got the thing running but would not idle. After I just released the accelerator and just let it die, i could never get it to crank again. I have went back to square 1 on checking PIDS. Now i have no injector buzz when initially turning the key to the "on" position. When I run the buzz test with the IDS, it says "pass". I took the FICM out of this truck and put it in another, and it worked. I'm wondering if i have a bad harness because it seems like it got pretty hard and stiff from being hot i guess? The FICM relay is good and the fuses are good in the number 5 junction box under the hood. Today I checked briefly on one of the #6 injector on one of the positive wires, which i believe is the red with the dark green stripe, and the test light lit very low. I have put a new IPR and fuel pump with new filters in it. And the oil level is great. I know this thing has to buzz initially. Could i need a new wiring harness? Or is my FICM playing tricks on me? I just can't belive all 8 injectors are bad or stuck. Anyone know what the proper voltage can be going in or coming out of the injectors?

Thanks,
Old Sarge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.