Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Branch Tube HPOP

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sinner6.0L 
#1 ·
Well,took my truck in for what I thought was a bad HPOP or the quick connect fitting on the branch tube leaking.The quick connect fitting blew apart and actually busted the aluminum cover behind it,and the mechanic says a new branch tube is needed.Says he has to pull the motor and tranny for this!! He said that ford has since changed that fitting to a screw together fitting to avoid this particular problem.Quoted me $3700 bucks to repair.I'm working 750 miles from home and my shop so me doing the work is out of the question.Anyone else had this problem that I can compare a price to?Price sound fair?Truck has 101776 miles on it.Go figure:doh:.

#2 ·
i've never performed this repair myself but i must say that engine removal seems unnecessary. yes the transmission has to come out and the rear cover needs replaced but the branch tube should be accessible with the valve covers off and several rockers/injectors removed. obviously the turbo and hpop cover have to come off too.

#4 ·
Yea,he has it tore down and said he MAY be able to do the tube without engine removal,but said that ford called for removal.Already had both valve covers off to perform pressure test.I wanted him to try to bend the tube back,but he didnt want to and i can understand why, but dang thats alot of cash.I wish it would have been a recall or something.They knew it was not the best design,so they changed it.And I get to pay to fix it lol..I love the truck,but at times I hate it.Like now lol.

#5 ·
someone else will have to chime in about bending the branch tube back in place. i've heard of it but not in severe cases. the fact is the rear cover needs replaced. you're not that much further into it to change the branch tube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.