Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in intercooler pipe

73K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  willdocter 
#1 ·
Alright, so... I've had coolant puking from my res for a little while now. I've already replaced the head gaskets and ARP head studs but now the symptoms are back and I've decided to replace the oil cooler.

The very first part I took off was the tube from turbocharger to the intercooler and I found oil coating the side of the pipe. also in the turbocharger.

What would cause this? Should I stop now and get new heads on the way? I wouldn't think it'd be the heads, maybe more like the seal on the turbo shaft is bad or something, right?

Please help, any advise will be heard.

#2 ·
The oil in the cooler piping is normal because the ccv goes into the intake tube and is sucked through the the turbo and through the piping. Only way to get rid of it is to do the ccv mod which you can find in the 6.0 mod section.

#3 ·
Wow that makes perfect sense, thank you very much!:doh:
:thumb:

How much oil is normal? I only ask, because I don't remember any oil that last time I tore into her...

#4 ·
It just depends. Shouldn't be any puddles. There will be a thin layer throughout your pipes and might be some seeping through the cooler boots. If there are puddles then you might have a turbo seal leaking.

#5 ·
Get rid of the oil by re-routing the crank case vent underneath the truck to a small ccv filter. That oil all inside the intercooler and turbo is ridiculous. ANOther pathetic Ford invention.

#6 ·
Thank you soo much... I will!

#7 ·
Plug up the intake tube with ??? I can;t remember what I used and then route a hose down under the truck towards the back and place a crankcase vent filter from autozone or Jegs or wherever as long as it has the same diameter nipple as the hose (something like 1") this will prevent trash from coming back into the crankcase. Then one day when you are feeling up to it, remove the intercooler and wash it out real with dishwashing soap and hot water or simple green or something to get rid of the oil Wash out the two boost tubes. Clean the ends of the boost tubes real well when assembling the silicone hoses and clamps and you are done. My Turbonetics turbo and boost tubes have been 100% oil free for years since I did that mod. Before, my turbo was covered in oil and so was my intercooler and boost tubes.

#8 ·
I just did this on my truck.

Used 1" inner diameter heater hose, that I purchased from a local farm & home supply store.(heat resistant up to 200+ degrees & obviously oil resistant) plus 3 1.25" stainless steel hose clamps.

I purchased a Moroso catch can(part#85465) that was a bit of overkill but I got it for a good price on e-bay due to it was used. What ever tank you use make sure it has a 1" inlet.

For the intake tube I went to Ace hardware and got a 1" inner diameter nylon plug, and black siliconed it in there and clamped it off as well.(wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fall out or leak)

Sorry I don't have any pics but wasn't too hard to install.

#9 ·
Great brief write up. I basically did the exact same thing and also put a carch can in front of the driver side front tire - also a little overkill, but I already had it.

#10 ·
Well, I just got done rebuilding the oil cooler... That was easier than I thought it would be.

Now, I've got her running in the driveway, with the res cap off, to get all the air out of the coolant system. But now I'm scratching my head....

I filled the res up to the MIN line, then started the truck and let it warm up. I came back to check on it when it was hot, and I've still no heat in the cab and when I checked the coolant level, it was still at MIN but there was some bubbles coming out the back.... thinking Head Gaskets right? :( Just then ALL the coolant in the Res started to disappear. I ran to grab a jug of water but by the time I got back (20 seconds) all the coolant had came back and it was actually above the MIN line.

So I stayed there and watched the bubbles for about 5 minutes and then it did it again... So I poured water into it at the same pace it was leaving keeping it at the MIN line for about 30 seconds until it stopped taking coolant. Then about 2 minutes later the Res overflowed for about 30 seconds before the coolant disapeared back to the MIN line.

Right now it's sitting outside repeating the cycle of overflow and then back to MIN. Any help is appriciated.

#12 ·
Well, I was out tryin to burp the system today while it was -5 outside and after the truck had heated up, I still wasn't getting any heat but the hoses to and from the RAD weren't hot either. So I'm not getting ANY flow through the system except every once in awhile, I'll feel heat come through in the cab and in the engine compartment, but only briefly. so can anyone tell me how to burb the coolant system?

#13 ·
Might want to take the thermostat out and leave your degas bottle lid of. This "should" allow the system to fully flow & eliminate your air pockets. Although if your HG's are going it's a useless cause, due to your introducing air to the system all over again.

#14 ·
Nevermind, it was the head gaskets.... So I traded it in on 2011 Ford Ranger, just this afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.