Glow plug ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug ???

2006 F250 KR 6.0

A little back ground. About a month ago my truck started with the typical cold start issues; rough start, white smoke (until warmed up). I checked the resistance of the GPCM harness pin points to the negative terminal on the battery. All readings were below 1.2 ohms. Harness had no bare spots and all connections were tight and clean. This morning I fire it up and during a short idle to warm up, a CEL appeared. Got it scanned and came up with the code P0677- Cylinder 7 Glow Plug Circuit Fault. Went to the house and re-performed resistance check on that circuit finding same aforementioned readings. As far as I understand anything below 5 should be fine. Maybe I am wrong. Any ideas?
By the way this is my first thread. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ok, so I sure thought into this a little too much. Busted out the handy test light and found no continuity to #7. But hey, THANKS any ways...
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well finally was able to get my hands on a set of 8 ZD-13 Motorcraft plugs. Nobody here stocks them. Paid $11.49 apiece at a local Oreily's. Not as bad a job as I had heard and read. Took all of 35 minutes for the passenger side. 5 of that was hunting down the tools. 10 minutes for the inner fender well removal. 7.5 for the removal and replacement of the plugs.8 for the replacement of the fender well, and the last 4.5 minutes for a smoke and wipe down of tools and putting away the tool box. Not too shabby. Started it up a couple of times and the CEL went away. Now for tomorrow the drivers side. See if I can beat my time.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Did you manage to remove the glow plug harness without damaging it? Just curious. On 2003 engines exclusively, the glow plug buss bar can be removed fairly easily without much, if any resistance.

For what it's worth, I've only ever had to replace ONE glow plug on a 6.0L out of the thousands I've wrenched on, that was ruined by a catastrophic EGR cooler failure......

...... up until doing a set of head studs on a fellow member's truck with high mileage that had three out of eight glow plugs, that were above the 2.0 ohm spec. (including one that had ZERO continuity OL) about a month ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well, no. lol. The boots pulled away. Plastic was a bit brittle. For the time being. I set it up with some high temp RTV just to keep the elements out. It will work till I feel like buying a new one. Dont really see what is wrong with the fix I did. I didnt have a short enough extension so I had to improvise a bit. I used my 1/4n drive socket adapter for my screwdriver and deep 10 and a 1/4n wrench. HAHA! Worked great.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Follow up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSW View Post
Ok, so I sure thought into this a little too much. Busted out the handy test light and found no continuity to #7. But hey, THANKS any ways...
Very stupid question... how did you use the test light to check? What did you check between?

I have a CEL and the resulting P0671 (Cylinder 1 Glow plug circuit fault) code. Just wondering if there was a sure fire way to check if it was the connector/wiring or the glow plug itself.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 PM

I know this is a bit old, but I had the same code for cylinder 1. I just replaced the glow plug, figured for $11 why not. I still have the code coming back after clearing. How do I test the wire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.