Injector Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Replacement

My #5 Injector has gone to lunch so tomorrow I will be tearing into the beast to replace it. Since I'm coming up to 250,xxx miles I would think there must be some worn out o-rings in there somewhere. Since it's going to be opened up, should I replace any? If so, which ones and what are their locations. This is for my early build 04.

Also, I assume the valve cover gaskets need replaced as well. However, it appears there is a upper and lower. I would assume I would only need the upper one but the geniuses at AutoZone don't have a clue. So, do they need to be replaced and if so, is it the upper or lower?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

At that high of mileage I would be doing all eight injectors along with the updated fuel pressure regulator from Ford. How many times do you want to be tearing into this yourself? As far as gaskets, the valve cover gaskets re-uasble unless you damage it during the repair. What you refer to as a "lower" gasket (which is the rocker arm carrier gasket) is accessible only by removing cylinder head bolts, so it's doubtful you will need that part.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
At that high of mileage I would be doing all eight injectors along with the updated fuel pressure regulator from Ford. How many times do you want to be tearing into this yourself? As far as gaskets, the valve cover gaskets re-uasble unless you damage it during the repair. What you refer to as a "lower" gasket (which is the rocker arm carrier gasket) is accessible only by removing cylinder head bolts, so it's doubtful you will need that part.
Thanks for your response. Just got back from the dealer....I will return the valve cover gaskets if I don't tear up the ones I already have.

As far as replacing all eight, the P/O for some reason had all except # 5 replaced just less than 100k ago. I just plan on replacing 1 at a time as need be.

When this injector problem first came up, I rented a fuel pressure test kit. At idle, I had between 64-66 psi and at WOT it would slowly drop to 58-59 and no lower. Would I still need the updated fuel pressure regulator?

Also, I picked up the new dummy plug while I was there. But now after reading more it isn't clear if I have one?

"In 2004 they went to a redisgned oil rail seen below. This oil rail setup has the standpipe going through the actual rail. Well in order to allow the same part to be used on either side they had to install a plug in the hole that was not being used by the standpipe. This is called the dummy plug."

So will I find a dummy plug in my early build 04? (S/N number & sticker on valve cover say 2003"
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWilkerson View Post
When this injector problem first came up, I rented a fuel pressure test kit. At idle, I had between 64-66 psi and at WOT it would slowly drop to 58-59 and no lower. Would I still need the updated fuel pressure regulator?
Your truck likely already has the updated regulator in it, based on the posted pressure readings.

Quote:
Also, I picked up the new dummy plug while I was there. But now after reading more it isn't clear if I have one?

"In 2004 they went to a redisgned oil rail seen below. This oil rail setup has the standpipe going through the actual rail. Well in order to allow the same part to be used on either side they had to install a plug in the hole that was not being used by the standpipe. This is called the dummy plug."

So will I find a dummy plug in my early build 04? (S/N number & sticker on valve cover say 2003"
Then you can turn around and return those dummy plugs along with your valve cover gaskets because your 2003 engine doesn't use that. By the way, I hope you picked up a CN-5020-RM injector (which is the correct part number for 2003 engines), not a CN-5019-RM (late-2004 and up engines).
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Then you can turn around and return those dummy plugs along with your valve cover gaskets because your 2003 engine doesn't use that. By the way, I hope you picked up a CN-5020-RM injector (which is the correct part number for 2003 engines), not a CN-5019-RM (late-2004 and up engines).
Why can't we have tech's in my neck of the woods as knowledgeable as you? I asked for the tech that works on the PS's and asked him that very same question. The pause and strange look he gave me right before he answered 'oh ya, the 03's have dummy plugs'. And then he brought be an injector box that clearly said 2004 and up right on it.

Are there any seals/o-rings/etc that I should service while I'm in there?

And thanks a million for the help!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Are there any seals/o-rings/etc that I should service while I'm in there?

And thanks a million for the help!!!
None that will achieve any useful purpose other than emptying your wallet needlessly. Just make sure you lube up the new o-rings on the injector with clean engine oil or vaseline when installing it, and torque to TX-40 injector hold-down bolt to 24 ft-lbs. Overtightening it will achieve the same effect as not tightening it tight enough.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah that's pretty bad that the PSD tech would not know that an 03 does not have dummy plugs. I might would check the connector for that injector and make sure none of the pins "backed out". I've had quite a few 6.0s that developed a skip that was because of one of the pins backing out and not making contact to the injector harness.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Well, I got food poisoning on Friday and am just now recovering. I was going to drive the truck in to work today, but when I started it this morning it's not just missing every now and then.....that injector has completely quit working. I will check the harness when I get it tore apart but I bet It's out......seeing that it has 250k miles now...lol
Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any update? Have you removed the injectores from the passenger side? Is it a difficult task?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

replacing injectors on these is really not that difficult. its really just time consuming getting everything out of the way to get to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.