So, I am doing head gaskets...surprised? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So, I am doing head gaskets...surprised?

Ok folks, I am getting ready to do head gaskets and studs in my 05. I was looking around for a comprehensive parts list, and haven't really found what I am looking for (I don't think). I did find this Head Gasket Install Complete Kit, Ford 6.0L but as I read through the parts list, I do not see any intake gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, turbo gaskets, etc. Perhaps I am mistaken, but won't I need these things? The last thing I want is to have the damn thing apart and then have to go track down parts that may or may not be readily available. So if anyone has a parts list that they can confirm has everything that is needed, it would be extremely helpful.

My next question is on the gaskets themselves. Who is using what? I have heard the Ford gaskets are great as long as they are studded, but I see alot of guys are using the Black Onyx gaskets. Are there any advantages to either one? I don't have any crazy modifications, just an Edge Evolution programmer, 4" turbo-back Magnaflow exhaust, and an AEM Brute Force HD intake. ANy help on this would be incredibly helpful also.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I am hoping this goes as smoothly as possible. Also, if anyone knows the best places to get the best deals, I am open to any advice on that topic also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 AM

Are you doing an EGR Cooler delete also? If so, are you going to replace your Oil Cooler? If so, you might want to look at this: Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution with Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and ARP Headstuds

Stock HGs will work with ARPs, but the Black Onyx HGs are very popular too. The website will explain a little of the advantage of Black Onyx HGs.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM

My EGR has already been deleted. Is this the kit you used? And yes, I really want to replace the oil cooler as well. That seems like a really reasonable price for everything in the kit. Can you confirm that the kit includes everything needed?

Last edited by rem1981; 02-11-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

I already had the ARP studs installed and had already purchased the head gaskets (Victor Reinz HGs), so I went with the Basic Solution Basic Solution(TM) for Ford 6.0L Powerstroke With Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and Intake Gaskets... Looking at the web page I sent you, yes it covers everything you need less coolant and oil and oil filter. Are you going to do the work? Regardless, please take your heads to a reputable machine shop and have them magniflux for cracks and check the surface to be true.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM

I did mine the hard way. i got everything seperate.
Head gaskets ( ford kit included fuel Filter rebuild, injector O ring kit, a bunch of other orings for various componants that are removed and reused.)

ARP Studs
Turbo rebuild kit from G POP Shop ( Also look on this site for turbo cleaning guide)
oil Cooler Rebuid Kit
ERG Cooler Delete ( I blocked mine and reinstalled )
Turbo supply Upgrade
Intake Gaskets ( reusable but i wanted new)
Exhaust gaskets , mainifold and upipe and turbo
Exhaust bolts ( Mainfold to upipe)
Exhaust clamps the one on the turbo.
Thermostat
Coolant
Oil and oil Filter
Fuel Filter

If you are planning to do the work your self you will also need.
special Tool for Tranny cooler lines LIS39960 Lisle specialty about 8 bucks. a good parts house should be able to locate one .

Long T40 Torx bit, craftsman sells as a kit for 110 buck
I used a T 40 drill bit and on long bit holder. (Injectors)
A good swivel head rachet, a few wobblers, I did not use a single swivel extention.
Several Extentions and good 6 point and 12 point set
Racheting wrenches are helpful but not needed.
24" pipewrench and craftman mechanics prybar will remove the fan.
a good set of picks
engine hoist and a helping hand.

lots of Patience and a good attiitude.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM

if i think of anything else i'll let you know.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM

FYI .... my 1200 dollar project is not approaching 2500.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford diesel View Post
Yes, I am rapidly seeing the parts bills pile up. But when its done, I will feel much better knowing that the majority of the 6.0L problems are fixed.

And Deucer, I haven't decided if I am doing the work myself or not, depends on how long I can be without a vehicle. But I have already located a reputable shop to inspect and, if necessary, mill the heads. My truck goes in to the body shop on Feb 21 thanks to some white trash moron with no insurance who can't drive (more money from my wallet), so hopefully after that is done I can get the head gaskets done.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is greatly appreciated. I have been a member of many other forums for various vehicles, and it is not all that common to find a forum with people as helpful as you guys. I like not having to deal with a bunch of arrogant pricks that think they are better than everyone else. Thanks for making this forum great!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford diesel View Post
I feel your pain brother, I have also exceeded my original calculations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.