16 and lost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16 and lost

I've had my 2005 6.0 for 15,000 miles now and I finally am ready to go ahead and do some mods. I have a 4 inch turbo back on it that I installed 2 weeks ago, but now I'm kind of lost on what to do next . I know that sct is the preffered tuner for the 6.0. I think I want to go with the live wire and skip the whole gauge set up because I don't exactly have all the money in the world. I found a deal where I could get the livewire, 3 custom tunes, the monitor holder, and the egr probe for $550. Is that a good deal? Then if I get the livewire should I go ahead and do the headgaskets and studs as a preventative deal or just wait until they go out, and how do you know if you need to machine the heads or not? How hard is it to tell when you lose the head gasket? Is it easier to pull the engine out or the cab off when doing head gasket work? When I go to do the head work I was thinking about an egr delete as long as I have things apart. If I had the sct livewire couldn't I clear the codes and make it run right? What other replacements or improvements should I be looking to do when I have everything apart. I think all my injectors are good, but what about an oil cooler? Thanks for any help, I definitely need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM

I would personally work on my engine first then do the mod's not the other way around. A tuner is cheap versus studs and gasket with the cab off. But if you over do it the wrong way once and there you find yourself doing the studs and gaskets. Like I'm doing is the gaskets and studs that way when I throw some nuts at it it can take it. Also remove the egr if you can get away with it ie.. emissions test or whoever else checks that kind of stuff in your state.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help. I don't have to worry about emissions at all anything goes. Would my truck run with an egr delete on it without a sct? Wouldn't that turn on my check engine light?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I heard that you can have a program written to shut that off. Or I know for sure that you can get a program that will shut your egr permanently shut it off it's not as reliable as manually removing it. But it's better than nothing.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM

And yes it will work or run after you remove the egr just get the proper kit for doing it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
use the search bar at the top of the screen you can learn alot on here by just reading threw the 6.0 section
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

15K on an 05 engine? Man that baby isn't even broke in yet. A word to the wise; If you are going to add a tune, especially a power tune, you would be smart in going deep first and make sure the heads are not cracked around the valve seats and the surface of the heads are true. The add ARP studs, EGR cooler delete would be the next logical approach.
15K on an 05, are you serious or is that how many miles you've put on it? Nevertheless, it would be smart to go inside first. Better to do it now as odds are you will do it later...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No it has 129,000 on it I just put the last 15,000 on it. I guess I'll have to try and get my dad to help me out on the cost of head studs.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Hope you can do it yourself because if not it can cost $2500-$4500 for labor alone depending on labor rates and skill in you area. Now factor in the gaskets and studs and you can see how it adds up. Ching-Chang
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Where are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.