What does it take? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What does it take?

I have owned a late 99 7.3 for almost 11 years. My wife drove a 2001 F150 4X4 Super Crew for 6 years till a 19 year old kid slammed into the back of her totaling her truck. Now I'm on the hunt to find her another truck but one that gets better mileage then a F150 @ 9-12 mpg and trying to find a clean 7.3 that hasn't been a work truck...

This brings me to why I'm here. Being a 7.3 owner while talking about 6.0's or 6.oh's and having friends that have owned them I have ran the other way when they come up for sale. Has there been any breakthroughs for the 6.0's that make's them as reliable as the average 7.3 or even near? I live in Nazi smog land California so I can't do the EGR delete.

I had friend's that couldn't keep their 6.0 trucks out of the shop for 6 months much less a year at a time. Seems that it was EGRs, Oil Coolers, injectors, turbos, oil leaks and head gaskets. Was this the same for all years 6.0's? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlogin View Post
I have owned a late 99 7.3 for almost 11 years. My wife drove a 2001 F150 4X4 Super Crew for 6 years till a 19 year old kid slammed into the back of her totaling her truck. Now I'm on the hunt to find her another truck but one that gets better mileage then a F150 @ 9-12 mpg and trying to find a clean 7.3 that hasn't been a work truck...

This brings me to why I'm here. Being a 7.3 owner while talking about 6.0's or 6.oh's and having friends that have owned them I have ran the other way when they come up for sale. Has there been any breakthroughs for the 6.0's that make's them as reliable as the average 7.3 or even near? I live in Nazi smog land California so I can't do the EGR delete.

I had friend's that couldn't keep their 6.0 trucks out of the shop for 6 months much less a year at a time. Seems that it was EGRs, Oil Coolers, injectors, turbos, oil leaks and head gaskets. Was this the same for all years 6.0's? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'd say you answered your own question. I don't believe I should have to put money into a truck to make it reliable. Performance, yes. Reliable.... Well...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
what is your price range? why not get her another F 150? my 2008 5.4L i was getting around 15mpg mixed driving. i know the new Eco Boost v6 is going to get more than that and its about 100hp more powerfull than the 5.4L

im actually really considering picking up a new Eco Boost towards the end of the year...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

where do you live at? i know of a couple in the houston area very good trucks low miles well takin care of 7.3 4x4 crew cab short bed.let me know if you want to check them out.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
I'd say you answered your own question. I don't believe I should have to put money into a truck to make it reliable. Performance, yes. Reliable.... Well...
I'm with you on the part about it being reliable. Just putting out some feelers to see if they have came up with a 6.oh package cure. It sure would make a bunch of super clean trucks out there worth more $. The 6.0 is quicker then a 7.3 on intown driving and that would be good enough for my wife. We have her 347ci 10.5:1 1963.5 factory 4 speed Convertible Falcon for her toy so she's not getting a fast truck as well lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
what is your price range? why not get her another F 150? my 2008 5.4L i was getting around 15mpg mixed driving. i know the new Eco Boost v6 is going to get more than that and its about 100hp more powerfull than the 5.4L

im actually really considering picking up a new Eco Boost towards the end of the year...
Thanks for the reply Raul

We are buying used and wish we could buy the Eco Boost. Were trying to stay in the mid teens. If your a conservative driver a F150 4x4 can get upper teens. We are not conservative drivers and get between 9-10 mpg in town with her 5.4 F150 more often 9mpg and 14hwy. We seem to match others in forums I have been reading even if they are later model F150's. My F350 gets between 11-14 mpg in town and 65-70mph gets 19.5mpg hwy. Having said that we might have to buy a F150 if we can't find the right diesel. She like the looks of the F150 so it's not out of the question if nothing else rolls around. I will check by your web page to see what cha got (-: Thanks again for your reply.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3eleanor View Post
where do you live at? i know of a couple in the houston area very good trucks low miles well takin care of 7.3 4x4 crew cab short bed.let me know if you want to check them out.
Hi 7.3elenor thanks for checking out my post. I would like to see what you have a line on for sure! It wouldn't be the first time I have gone to Texas to buy a truck. The last time, the town I went to was called Stephenville Texas. I bought a FL60 crew cab. hauler.
I live in Southern California North San Diego County. Were looking for a truck that has never been a work truck or never been on a salted road. I think my F350 has set a standard and makes my wife think they should all be this clean. I have always used my truck for ranch work and hauling equipment so it's only been me around it so it doesn't even have as much as a door ding or scratch. and has had husky floor mats in it sense the first day it was new so shoes have never been on the carpet. We will see if she gets what she wants. Thanks again for your reply to me post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.