EGR Failure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Failure

Bought truck brand new. Replaced rear main at 5000. Things have been good for several years, Noticed coolant smell the other day. Coolant coming out of overflow tank. Dealership said EGR. They are installing EGR Delete. How scared should I be that the Head Gaskets are going to go Now? Only 28000 miles and light use since the truck was bought. Dont know if I should sell or hang on to find out next problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just cuz the egr cooler craps out doesnt necessarily mean the HG's are toast... but you can get some tests done(aka compression test) and see where you're at, it'd be wise, my friend just got new heads and the mechanic INSISTED she didnt need to change the EGR cooler(DOH!) well she drove it a day and it was dumping white n black smoke(LOL egr was burning coolant like nuts), a week later its back with a new cooler..
good tohear you're doing the delete i its definitely worth it..

Anyway end rant get a compression test and monitor your ECT and EOT.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't forget to change out oil cooler.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice. The truck is at the dealership. I asked the mechanic about the HG and he thought they were good for now. Do they normally change oil cooler when doing EGR. Dont remember if they said that was getting changed? I have learned a lot in the last few days. Everyone has said the EGR Delete is the way to go and will really help the engine. I have really bounced around the idea of putting the truck up for sale, but I love this thing. Apparently when i do change the heads and put in ARP studs and a better oil cooler- the engine is solid? Then maybe I wont drive around fearing for the worse.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do you recommend to get to monitor the ECT EOT? What are good and bad numbers. i have found out, I should have been paying more attention to this since the beginning. What is cost of Oil cooler replacement
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Labor for the oil cooler shouldn't be much, doing the egr delete, you're practically on top of the oil cooler. Would be a good idea IMO.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM
information regurgitator

Any mechanic worth a crap will replace the oil cooler along with your EGR delete. What that means is, ask him what he plans on doing with it and if he says "nothing" or "I'm gonna clean it", thank him for his time, get in your truck and find a new mechanic.
What caused your EGR to take a crap was that it was plugged on the coolant side of it. It is certain that if your EGR was plugged, so is your oil cooler (coolant passes thru the oil cooler first then the EGR cooler), the oil cooler will be next to go and it is not easy to clean up the coolant passages to remove the oil that will leak into them.
There are a couple of ways to watch your EOT/ECT. You could get something like the Edge Insight or get a set of manual gauges. You might want to add an oil pressure gauge. If you tow you may want to watch trans temps and Exhaust Gas Temps (EGT). A fuel pressure gauge would not be a bad idea, since under 45psi and your going to start replacing injectors. The stock spring that regulates that pressure can allow that pressure to fall to that level.
The Insight can watch EOT, ECT, Trans Temp and if you buy the extra probe the EGT. There are alot of other parameters it can watch, but not the other ones mentioned. The Insight can also read and clear engine diagnostic codes.
You will need a manual fuel pressure gauge, should have a manual oil pressure gauge and just for giggles most run a boost gauge.

As far as cost of replacement of the oil cooler, it won't be much more since everything is out of the way to replace it when doing an EGR delete.

ECT when up to operating temp will be around/close to 190, EOT should not vary from whatever that number is by more than 15*. If it does your oil cooler is plugged up and needs service now.
Fuel pressure should be around 55psi @ idle (or thereabout) and no less than 45 at WOT. Ford has an updated spring kit (about 50 bucks) to raise this to around 60-70 psi @ idle (part number 3C3Z-9T517-AG) should you find that pressure on the low side.
Oil pressure will vary from 30 psi to somewhere very close to/over 100psi. I get 100psi when it is cold, 75 psi when it is warm and I am @ WOT and around 30 psi @ warm idle.
Trans temp will vary depending on what your towing, it shouldn't get too much more than 180*. Mine hasn't gone over 170*F when towing my enclosed 8X16 trailer loaded up.
EGT should not go above 1300* for very long.
Boost is one of those "fun to watch" type of gauge and a truck in stock form doesn't really need it.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 02-15-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typo, it now reads correct (it said edge would watch eot and eot, duh)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Good advice from NYC F-350. Thanks for the part number on the spring kit.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just talked to the dealer and they did replace the oil cooler. Thanks for the help
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Ford put out a TSB on the subject of replacing oil cooler when EGR has a problem.

TSB 09-08-03. Just for future information.

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%...sb09-08-03.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.