Possibility of a reman inj being bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibility of a reman inj being bad?

Hey guys, I just completed replacing 4 injectors on bank 1 in an 06 6.0L and one of the injectors came up with a performance code again? This was actually part of another thread I wrote the other day about the misfire and loss of fuel. Now, the injectors were replaced, the truck ran fine up until warmed up (bout 15 min) and cyl 5 came up with a performance code and a dead miss again. It will not come back even when cold now. I checked the harness, removed the FICM and resoldered all the joints after checking the unit for voltage as described in other threads (which was 34V during KOEO buzz test. the other 2 tests were within spec). The customer claims the FICM is less than a year old, but the date on sticker says 2005? Im now wondering what is the possibility of having a faulty injector? Of course, I know the possibility exists, but how common is it? I have to contact the dealer tomorrow to see what their warranty policy is. I have replaced probably 2 dozen of these in many different trucks in past years but never had a bad reman unit b4. Thanks for any input guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rich,
Not sure if I have ever heard of it being a problem with some of my friends who are dealer techs or own their own shops. After you resoldered the connections on the FICM, does it check out at 48V? I would assume it does. Since you don't get any FICM related codes for cyl 5, I would agree that it sounds like a bad injector.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Rich,
Not sure if I have ever heard of it being a problem with some of my friends who are dealer techs or own their own shops. After you resoldered the connections on the FICM, does it check out at 48V? I would assume it does. Since you don't get any FICM related codes for cyl 5, I would agree that it sounds like a bad injector.
Hey man. No I have not rechecked the voltage yet. I completed reconnecting everything last night really late and just wanted to see if the miss had been corrected once completed. After I determined it was not, I just left the shop and went home b/c it was after 1130pm. Thanks for the info. I still have to contact Ford to see what the warranty is.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this might be a long shot but I do agree the coil might have burned out in the injector with the low voltage... has this cylinder been dead for a while or did you just replace them all because you were in there...
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacooks View Post
this might be a long shot but I do agree the coil might have burned out in the injector with the low voltage... has this cylinder been dead for a while or did you just replace them all because you were in there...
Naa, I went in to replace a broken injector that was causing compression to leak into the fuel system. Right after I reassembled, the number 5 cyl came up as a bad injector so I replaced it and the other 3 as a precaution due to the history behind the failure. Now, the truck ran no more than 20 minutes or so and the injector on cyl 5 failed again??? It has a dead miss. I actually decided to remove and swap it with an injector from an adjacent cylinder. If the problem follows I know its the inj, if not then I know its an issue with the FICM beyond just the solder joints. I keep ya posted. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I hope the swap works... if it isn't the injector I would agree there would be something wrong with the FICM... or one of the valves might not be seating correctly...?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacooks View Post
I hope the swap works... if it isn't the injector I would agree there would be something wrong with the FICM... or one of the valves might not be seating correctly...?
Def not a valve train or internal mechanical issue. The truck ran great for that 15-20min test drive until it reached just about operating temp. I was decelerating off the highway exit ramp from a test drive and it started missing. IDK man? The customer tells me the injectors have all been replaced 2 times before. But, he also said the FICM was replaced and it has a 2005 manuf date on it??? That tells me its OEM Im guessing b/c the truck is an 06. If this is an injector issue. Im draining the fuel tank and telling him to find a new fuel supplier!! This is an F550 landscape truck so he gets fuel at the same place all the time and wont be taking long trips with this thing anywhere.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Update, I swapped injectors from cylinders 3 and 5. The problem stayed with cylinder 5. Therefore, FICM will be replaced. I know its not the circuitry, b/c I pulled what little hair I have left out trying to find any rubbed through points. None were visible. Next question remains, is there any way to have the FICM provisioned w/o the dealer having the truck in their possession? In other words, can the FICM be programmed outside of the dealer?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you buy it from ford they will want the vin so they would flash it for you...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you check injector harness for backed out wire on that injector? Also I would run a compression check to quickly assess the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.