Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0 Motor problems (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/)
-   -   best coolant to use in a 6.0 (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/189105-best-coolant-use-6-0-a.html)

NebularChameleon 03-28-2011 08:35 AM

I read that post by PGreenSTV and liked all the information posted in one place. I will be finding more of his posts. Still interested in that Evans coolant because in the write up they state that it is not water based and has a much higher boiling point and reduses the need for a pressurized coolant system. This would allow you to run your block hotter without damage from expansion pressures, micro cavation, or gelling. Think they were even showing a better heat conversion at higher ranges. I am still looking into it.

scha0786 03-28-2011 08:55 AM

so does this CAT ELC EC-1 already have the SCA additives in it?

my buddy is running a duramax and is switching to the CAT stuff, kinda thinking of doing a bulk buy with him and running the CAT stuff.

jordan07 01-30-2012 07:34 AM

Were can you get a EC-1 rated coolant even at ive called napa auto zone oreailly advanced auto and there all like uhh whats that ??

scha0786 01-30-2012 08:33 PM

oriely carries it, its called final charge or something.

bigmic 01-31-2012 04:51 PM

I ordered Final Charge from O'Riley Auto Parts. It was $23 a Gal full strength. They claim you can go 300,000 miles before having to add a booster. No silicate and no phosphate. I like it :thumb:

Tommyboy7777 02-01-2012 07:37 AM

I just did the complete flush,new oil cooler,bulletproof egr cooler and sinister coolant filter....and put in Delo(chevron) CAT EC1 coolant,you can get it at any international truck dealer!!

scha0786 02-02-2012 07:44 AM

I got my stuff straight from a local international dealer, its shell rotella ELC the black bottle

NYC F-350 02-02-2012 08:01 AM

Everything you ever wanted to know about running Evans NPG+ and more:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...s-coolant.html
The biggest issue running it is getting all the water out of the block.

Pistolgrip426 02-02-2012 12:21 PM

diesel engines have had to run a low phosphate low silicate coolant for years. As a 28 year caterpillar tech,I would have to say that cat is a leader in the testing of coolant, Unlike some engines, cat engines are built with a removeable piston liner,in other words you dont rebore or have a bore in the actual block,you have liners pressed in,the coolant flows around the liners to keep them cool. a bad coolant, high in silicates and acids will eat the liners away,thus causing major damage.(coolant in the combustion chamber) by reducing silicates,phosphates and acidic reactions, you are basically reducing corrosion,thus longer liner life and longer engine life. Caterpillar has spent much $$ in the r&d of coolant,and are very anal about the type you use,especially for warranty.this is the reason the "Cat" approved is well respected,as most people know the extensive testing that has been done over the years. ford has basically spent no $ in r &d of coolant,the crap they use basically is crap, and cannot handle the high heat transfer rates and turns to goo. and plugs things up. the biggest thing in a coolant is how heat affects it,and how it reacts to millions of cycles of heat and cooldown. just trying to explain in simple terms,hope that gives you an idea,Cat ec-1 isnt just good because they make cool toys,it is backed with a ton of R & D. Zerex used to make coolant to cat specs when it was purple,pretty sure they still do. go to any cat dealer and they will show that coolant maintenance is a science,that is why they have different levels of charges to maintain it's effectiveness. you gotta' remember a cat engine is a different critter than a powerstroke,but the effectiveness of good coolant can be beneficial in any engine. I have seen liners corroded in engines with 200k,used by guys that just used water to top up,and I have seen mint liners in engines w/1 million k miles that were maintained on the cat program since new., there is no substitute for the good stuff.

skippyh2o 09-16-2012 01:39 PM

I flush my systems with cascade dishwashing powder: Flush coolant, Add three single wash packets to each gallon of water (three washing cycle amounts to each gallon of water if you dont have packets), run the engine until hot, flush out with water and refill with CAT ELC "76 brand".
Always had clean cylinder liners on my trucks and no issues with my passenger vehicles.
SKIP

OH and I know you will ask "how about the spot free packets", well it doesnt matter :)