Just my luck, now a coolant leak.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just my luck, now a coolant leak....

Got it all back together tonight and sure enough it wouldnt start and is leaking coolant like crazy. I could not get the fuel to prime on it own tonight and when I tried to unscrew the fuel filter cap to check and see if I had fuel there it broke. Not my day today, again. I am pretty (90%) sure that the coolant is leaking from my 80$ gasket between the water pump and the intake. Does anyone know any tricks there or if they sold me the wrong gasket set? Its an 03 build with full circle intake and the gasket was about a 2inch round by 1/4 inch thick donut shaped o ring. I torqued the intake following Fords manual and I just cant see in there to 100% know thats it. Tomorrow Im gonna try and get the cap off the fuel filter and fill the top filter with fuel and see if that will get her started at least. I am just about ready to blow this truck up. I never before believed the 6.0 was the worst engine ever made but now Im a firm believer. I sure hope the 6.7 is leaps and bounds better or Ill be driving a gasser from now on. Maybe just maybe the leak will stop once the truck warms up, yea right! wishful thinking!
Caleb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the 6.0 is far from the worst, dont take your screw up out on the 6.0
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb2684 View Post
Got it all back together tonight and sure enough it wouldnt start and is leaking coolant like crazy. I could not get the fuel to prime on it own tonight and when I tried to unscrew the fuel filter cap to check and see if I had fuel there it broke. Not my day today, again. I am pretty (90%) sure that the coolant is leaking from my 80$ gasket between the water pump and the intake. Does anyone know any tricks there or if they sold me the wrong gasket set? Its an 03 build with full circle intake and the gasket was about a 2inch round by 1/4 inch thick donut shaped o ring. I torqued the intake following Fords manual and I just cant see in there to 100% know thats it. Tomorrow Im gonna try and get the cap off the fuel filter and fill the top filter with fuel and see if that will get her started at least. I am just about ready to blow this truck up. I never before believed the 6.0 was the worst engine ever made but now Im a firm believer. I sure hope the 6.7 is leaps and bounds better or Ill be driving a gasser from now on. Maybe just maybe the leak will stop once the truck warms up, yea right! wishful thinking!
Caleb
Are you sure the gasket was seated properly? If it didn't leak before, it may just be user error
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM

A 31 thousand dollar truck, I paid cash for it new in 04, shouldnt REQUIRE $7000 in parts(thats JUST parts) at 124,652 miles. Oil and filter were changed every 5000 miles with Rotella, fuel filters every 20k, air filter every 45K, transmission every 50K. It has never been hot rodded, chipped, preformance anything. If your logic calls that acceptable you are way off in my opinion, wheres the quality in that? Yes Im pissed that this thing is leaking but no Im not giving the 6.0 any kind of reputation that it hasnt EARNED. I truly hope yours has been better. Hindsight I should have sold it when the AC clutch fell off at 400 miles, or the rear main seal went out at 13K miles, or the injector at 26K, or the computer at 50K. Ive got nothing against Fords in general but the 6.0 is crap. To answer the other question it was a new gasket and yes I seated it as best I knew how. To be honest I thought the old one was mounted to the intake in some fashion and when I got the intake back from the head shop the old one was gone so I dont know for sure that I got the same gasket. I got what Ford sold me and thats what I put on there. Sure does make for a bad day after you get the cab back on and everything hooked up to find this out. Now should I try to pull the cab again or just the intake???
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

You got your truck for $31k brand new? That's a deal!! I paid more than that for an '03 V10 and put down nearly that much on my harley. I paid $51,000 for my truck and after traveling to iowa it had a ficm harness and turbo actuator fail 500 miles from home. I got it fixed, and it wasn't the truck's fault. Less than 2 years ago the EGR cooler blew, I had it replaced, in december it went again, and I'm getting ready to replace it again. For what it's worth, my truck is programmed and has been for sometime, and I do hotrod it from time to time.

But, I can't blame you for being frustrated after doing all that work and pulling the cab. I wonder if maybe there isn't a different gasket set and ford sold you the wrong one. What was the reason for pulling the cab? Headgaskets? I'd say start with pulling the intake, that way if you have to pull the cab again, you've already got that much torn down.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 AM

i had kind of the same thing. I pulled my turbo off and the mounting plante then pressure tested the system showed that the littal blue hose was rather holey.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Fantom,
Yea we got a deal on the truck in my opinion too. List was 40 and this was back when diesel was way cheaper than gas. I had the oil cooler go out on me and decided to fix all the known problems with the 6.0 hoping to make a damn good truck when Im done. I love Fords Ive owned one chevy(1990 1500 w/350) and 8 Fords (6 rangers, focus and this one) and theyve all been good to me over the years. I guess my frustration is that they knew it was a junk engine and forced it out early just to make compliance with the government. Thats what really erks me. I can say though in the 6.0s defense its decent on fuel mileage, has plenty of power, has never left me on the side of the road and is a nice ride. So if youre curious I did ARP studs, head gaskets, two new head(cracks in the old ones), egr delete, water pump, cam and crank sensors, ipr, icp, oil cooler, idler pulleys, injector wire harness, belt, CAT elc coolant, new injector seals, air filter and and edge evolution. Coolant filter and 4 inch exh are next if I can ever afford it. Im guessing that I was sold the wrong oring for that intake. We'll see once I get it apart again.
Caleb
Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

You know what's going to happen right? You're going to find 1 damn loose bolt Like I said, I can't blame you for being frustrated. You wouldn't happen to be in the sacramento area would ya? I need a new EGR cooler

I don't believe that international had this many problems when the engine was the VT365 in a commercial application, but I could be wrong about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.