Is This EGR?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Is This EGR??

Alright guys, here is the deal. I have been running my truck with the EGR unplugged for alittle while now because i felt like my EGR was failing and just decided to try it. Well it has been using more and more coolant lately so i decided to use this warm day to go and work on it and check some stuff out. Well i plugged the EGR back in today and there are alot of things it is doing differently..

First off, my EGT's are alot higher and get there alot faster. With it unplugged it would only get around 900 if i was on it pretty good. Plugged in it gets there easily. It also blows plenty of black smoke plugged in and NONE unplugged.

Secondly, the ECT with it unplugged would stay around 178 which is very low i know. After reading on here i thought maybe my thermostat had gone bad. But, with it plugged in its alot more variable and stay up around 200 where it shud be. I was getting horrible gas mileage with it unplugged and was thinking it was because of the ECT not getting to normal driving temperatures.

My question is, would the EGR cooler going bad cause all of this?

I was planning on getting a delete this week and i was also wondering if, when i do, is my mileage gonna go back down to horrible like this?

Mods are in my signature

Sorry for the long post and TIA for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go see Scott over at Trucks Unlimited in Winston - Salem..... Him and his boys just fixed me up real good.... Same problem

Sounds like your EGR ate it, killed your EGR cooler, and I would bet killed your oil cooler as well..... AND if you are drinking that much coolant I would say there is even a good possibility of head gaskets..... Scott is a straight shooter and will save you the most money..... IMHO
Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Why doesnt he have a website?? I was hoping it was just the EGR right now cause i really dont have the cash to drop 4-5 grand on getting head studs...
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It won't cost that much.... I went way over kill and even with rental car for 3 weeks I didn't spend 5 grand.... Scott is a admin on here. Shoot him a PM or give him a call 336-764-5657

He comes highly recommended by the boy's from CPA.... Just ask around
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM

If you're using up coolant, it may be your egr cooler. I just replaced my egr and oil cooler. Mine was using up coolant. When I removed my EGR, the soot was all goopy. I was also blowing out white smoke/steam from the tailpipe. Anyway, it's all fixed now as of yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.