blue smoke on start up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blue smoke on start up

i have a 2006 f350 4x4 6.0 auto 181k miles. im pretty new to diesels but not new to workin on trucks. just bought this one about a month ago. it smokes blue (oil burning) on cold start ups (winter in jersey about 10-40 degrees) i just recently noticed this when i started carpoolin with a buddy to work and i didnt drive it in a day. if i let it sit for a day or 2 it will smoke blue until i start drivin it and go away. truck runs great no other problems then the blue smoke. and it doesnt burn much if any oil, no loss on the dip stick. the truck was stock when it started doin this and now it has a airfilter, 4" exhaust, sct programmer. i noticed once i put the programmer on it smoked more. if i drive it everyday it hardly smokes if at all. im thinkin its some kind of o ring or something sticking any advice or help would be great.

thanks in advance
Brendon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Our trucks have a crank case ventilation routed directly back to the intake... If your truck sits for awhile the oil will sit in your intake and at the top of your heads.. That's more then likely the oil you are burning off.. No issues.. If you want it to stop check out stealth automotives CCV mod and it will cure this as long as saving your turbo too
Stephen
Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also, try reprogramming to the stock tune, the see if the smoke clears (punn intended) My mild performance tune causes more smoke on start up (man...keep your windows up when starting!)
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM

ok thanks for the help i will try it this weekend and see if it works
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Most likely injector stiction. If your still running 15w-40 dino oil it was stick your spool valves and leave a varnish that burns off giving you the blue smoke. Cheap fix, change the oil to a good synthetic 5w-40 and give it a dose of rev-x.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
could be alot of stuff, what i would check first would be GPCM otherwise known as glow plug control module. if you have a ids or such, run a glow plug test. or if you don't. go to your GPCM and unplug both connectors and the large blades harness side go to the glow plugs. put your test light on positive side of batt and touch tip of test light to these blades and it should light. if it doesn't you have bad glow plug or harness. with that many miles glow plug might be done on a few cylinders and this with give that color smoke cold then clear up.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

i just changed the oil and put in rotella 15w40 and some rev x.
i didnt know that light weight of oil was recommended for these trucks?

thanks for the help JUGERNAUT i will try that. i have to look in the receipts i got with the truck if i remember right i think the glow plug harness and stuff was replaced thats one of the reasons i bought the truck it just had a lot of work done to it.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

I also had the same problem with my truck. I ended up having my SCT programmer (Eric) take fuel away on cold startups and it would not get added back until it was warm. Problem solved no more blue smoke. Also added rev X additive and it helped startups with no injector miss or chatter on cold startup.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM

5w-40 is perfectly safe to run. These motors seem to prefer a thinner oil. I wouldnt have even suggested running it if I had not had great experiences using it over the past years.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 PM

so i tried the ccv mod. helped a little but still some smoke. the GPCM was recelnty replaced but when i get a chance i will still test it to make sure it works. JUGERNAUT why would the glow plugs not working cause it to burn oil?

big sky stroker why would taking away fuel from start up help stop blue smoke? wouldnt that help black smoke (unburnt fuel) not blue (oil)

i will have to try a lighter weight oil next oil change too expensive to try now since i just changed and put rev x in lol
i think it has somethin to do with the injectors too because it doesnt sound the greatest when its cold warming up but i know diesels sound rough when they are cold so idk if its just me or if it is the truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.