No power when pressing pedal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power when pressing pedal

Hello all,
I have a 05 excursion. 137k. Recent work done. Egr delete, oil cooler, ficm, 2injectors, turbo vane, head gaskets. All since 112k.

Now when I start the truck it idles fine. Start going down the road press the pedal, truck slows down (bogs down). Let off a little picks up speed. Cannot punch it. Hear the turbo spooling. Let off the pedal and hear a du,du,du like it is letting off pressure.

I can reach highway speeds by fluttering the pedal. Does not overheat, no white smoke, black smoke when it bogs down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Overfueling/Overboosting?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure what you mean over fueling, over boosting.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Carbon huffing animal

The VGT vanes get stuck, and overboost. (can blow head gaskets that way)

Black smoke is unburned fuel. If you have a EGR delete it rules out the stuck EGR valve.

Did you take out your butterfly flap when you did your EGR delete.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Check your fuel pressure. Should be between 45psi and 65psi. if not you need to either rebuild you fuel pressure regulator or change your fuel filters. My truck was doing the exact same thing and I let it go. Just got done replacing 5 injectors and rebuilding fuel pressure regulator because of it. Could also be stuck turbo vanes not opening when pushing down the pedal. Might need cleaned. They build up alot of carbon especially if you idle it alot. Good luck and hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure on the egr butterfly question. Seems like ever since the guys installed the delete that I have had issues with the vane right after and replaced it. I swapped the filters every oil change. Learned from expensive ficm and injectors. The wife is instructed to never let the truck get under a quarter tank. She is a soldier on this. I would like to clean the vane but cannot find the instructions everyone says are on here.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Check your fuel pressure. Thats your issue.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, fuel pressure is 45 psi at idle. When I power braked the truck it is building some boost but does not break the tires loose like it used to. Does it look like I need to disassemble the turbo and clean it?

if I drive it up a hill I have to feather the pedal to keep it accelerating (not trying to drive fast). But when I punch it is no go 6.0.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Carbon huffing animal

45psi for a 6.0 is on the low end I believe. Low fuel pressure is bad for 6.0 injectors. Very bad, I would be looking into other things, not your turbo
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just done egr delete and turbo rebuild and cleaning my self on my 6.0. Turbo had same symptoms as yours, then my egr cooler blew. So decided to rebuild the turbo while it was out. Good thing the unison ring was completely frozen rusted to housing. Before I had puffs of black smoke on a load and turbo farting when reving the engine. First to check it the map sensor hose. Pull it off from the sensor and the intake manifold on the passenger side. Make sure the hose has no leaks and is not clogged, about a year ago done this to mine and it wasen't the hose but the nipple on the intake was clogged. Cleaned it and truck ran alot better. Without the map sensor working you will loose boost and somtimes throw a low or no boost code. Second that I just went through, check to see if all the fuel lines are seated and tight on the secondary fuel filter on top of engine, they had to remove this to do the egr delete, I just found this today was loosing power under load cause I did not have the fuel line seated tight and was loosing preasure on a load. Now the truck runs like a bat out of you know. check those first but I would say your turbo is froze. not that hard to pull and clean but time consuming. Word of advice get a turbo rebuild kit, I got mine at jpop shop $125.00 easy to rebuild and while its off you don't want to take it out again if bushings get worn and you need the new turbo mounting bolts and O rings and gaskets anyway. Only use scotch brite pads for cleaning. Advance and Auto zone have the 3m drill cleaning kit and extra roloc pads. I have a couple of great links for pulling the turbo and rebuilding and cleaning it if you want them. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.