Hard Starting 04 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Hard Starting 04

I posted a while back about my early model 04 350 having difficulty starting and missing at idle. When cold, almost as soon as I hit the key she fires right up. If its completely warmed up and only been shut down for 30 minutes max, she starts fine. It's happens when its been sitting for more than an hour and not long enough to cool all the way down. It cranks for about 3-5 seconds and then its like one cylinder fires, then two, then three and so on. If i let off the key when it first starts to fire, it will hang out at 200 or 300 rpms and then just die. As long as I hold the key on until it fires all the way up it will keep on running.

Recently it's gotten worse and become harder to start and the missing at idle is the same; however it's starting to miss at WOT or when i've got a load. Also, I've developed a oil leak. It started out as just a couple drops here and there and in about 2 weeks it's transformed into 8-10 nickel sized drops in the garage floor overnight. Last night, I climbed under and the oil is all over the bell housing and oil pan, and you can see where its been blown by the wind all the way down the trans and transfer case. Looking up the block, it runs down both sides of the bell housing and I can see it all the way up to the back of the head. So, I thought something in the valley was leaking. Basically, I took everything off the top of the motor, except the turbo. The valley was almost bone dry, except for the usual sludge & dirt. Maybe it's coming from the ICP? Is it related to the missing? At this point I'm lost.

Over the past few months, I've been reading everything I can find on here about similar problems but have yet to find the exact same thing as I have. I thought maybe the ICP is going bad or low pressure from the HPOP. I set up the livelink and went for a drive. Now, this might be easier if the powers that be over at SCT had listed what the units of measure for the ICP were. When cranking, it shows ICP Desired as 9.00 and Actual ICP Pressure jumps quickly from 0 to 13.00 - 15.00. Once it's running, Desired ICP drops to 4.00 as does Actual ICP. I'm not sure how this relates to PSI, but it would seem to me if it only needs 4.00 ICP to idle, then the 9.00 its calling for and the 15.00 its actually getting should be more than enough to start. When i'm driving, the HPOP keeps up with ICP Demand really well, until WOT. ICP Desired will climb to about 27.50 but Actual ICP will max out around 23.25 - 24.50 and won't go any higher. This is on the canned SCT street tune and again I dont know how that relates to PSI. Now, either at WOT or on OD under a load I will get a fairly strong miss. As long at ECT and EOT stay above 195 degrees it won't miss at all; it only does it under a load and when cooler that 195ish.

I just need to know where to go from here. What do the ICP numbers I'm getting from LiveLink translate to? Are they normal? If I'm getting good pressure, what else would cause my symptoms?

A little background. It's a 2004 F-350 DRW with 240,000 Miles. EGR delete, New Oil Cooler & HG's about 6 months/20,000 miles ago (I had the same symptoms, minus the oil leak, before the delete; just gotten worse the past few weeks). I've been running SCT's canned street tune since right before I blew my HG's and coolers. I've always kept maintenance up religiously and so did the previous owner. Oil was just changed 2 weeks ago and yes, the leak did get worse right after. I used Rotella T5 10-30 HD. Fuel filters were changed 4,500 miles ago. I can data log whatever you guys need through the LiveWire. Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure you get all the info you need!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok...so as soon as I ask the question I finally find it online. SCT LiveWire reads ICP as MPa. If that is right then I'm getting 1305 PSI ICP within the first few seconds of cranking. So what else keeps it from firing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.