List of parts to fix common 6.0 problems. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
List of parts to fix common 6.0 problems.

Hey guys,

I'm new here and have been searching and browsing to fix some of the issues with my F350. I've been trying to piece together a good list of stuff to do but I'd like to be able to get a final answer on this.

My issues seem to be the common hard start, poor mpg, etc that plagues many of these trucks. I'm hoping we can pool the common knowledge of all the guys in here and maybe make a comprehensive list of parts to change out and really make the truck bulletproof.

My setup is as follows:

2005 F350(build 12/04)
100k Miles
AEM intake
DP Tuners Tune(ECO and Tow tunes)
Otherwise stock truck.

I mostly use the truck to tow my race car around(~5k lbs total weight).

A few things I have already done. Changed oil to Rotella T5 10w-30(helped a bunch!), new OEM fuel filters, FICM checked out to 48v cranking and running, new ICP and new IPR.

I'm pretty convinced it's an oil hpop issue. The list of parts I have so far are:

Bullet Proof HPOP connector kit
OEM Ford Oil Cooler(using BPD kit as a ref)
Sinister EGR Delete or equivalent.
Oil drain tube
Oil rail seals - OEM p/n ??????
Injector O-Rings - OEM p/n ??????

Free/cheap things to check out:

- Dis-assemble turbo and clean
- Inspect y-pipe for cracks and fix if necessary
- Hot tank intake manifold?

Can you guys think of anything else to add to that list?

I figure since I'm already tearing into the engine to do the EGR delete I might as well take care of all the common symptoms.

Thank you,
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM

I thought I was ahead of the game doing many of those same things and just found out today that Ive gotta buy new heads! But what Im doing on a 2004 F250 124K is now Heads, MKM 6.0 solution(egr delete, oil cooler, black onyx gaskets, arp head studs), glow plugs, IPR, ICP sensor, water pump, thermostat, idlers, belt, Edge evolution, crank sensor, cam sensor, adding a coolant filter, cleaning the turbo, switching to ELC Zerex coolant, flushing the power steering and brake fluids. Im doing all this myself and Im at 6K in parts alone. Just be aware of what youre getting yourself into and be ready for worst case scenario, or go buy a new 6.7 while you can get some trade in on yours!
Caleb
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the help..
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will have to do some of these.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb2684 View Post
I thought I was ahead of the game doing many of those same things and just found out today that Ive gotta buy new heads! But what Im doing on a 2004 F250 124K is now Heads, MKM 6.0 solution(egr delete, oil cooler, black onyx gaskets, arp head studs), glow plugs, IPR, ICP sensor, water pump, thermostat, idlers, belt, Edge evolution, crank sensor, cam sensor, adding a coolant filter, cleaning the turbo, switching to ELC Zerex coolant, flushing the power steering and brake fluids. Im doing all this myself and Im at 6K in parts alone. Just be aware of what youre getting yourself into and be ready for worst case scenario, or go buy a new 6.7 while you can get some trade in on yours!
Caleb
Caleb watchout for those BO head gaskets people have been having trouble with them.

sil8ty you say you have a hard start is that cold or hot
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well first off. I would start with you FICM. That is usually the cause for hard starting, MPGs, etc. Do a search and there is alot of resources for checking it. I have had a bad one myself.

Second. Do not waste your money with sinister EGR delete. Stainless ones on ebay are just as good and are only $150.00 I have done 4 EGR deletes. first one sinister the last 3 ebay ones. Sinister was the only one I had problems with.

If you are going to tear down to EGR delete you might as well change out the oil cooler.

Invest in a coolant filter assembly. You can buy pre made kits for $130 or be like me $60 all said and done with piecing it together your self.

Save the money and dont buy an intake. It does nothing for mileage and you have to clean it too often. Stock intakes are good for 500 hp have superior filtering and you don't have to mess with it often at all. I run a K&N and I am actually going to go back to stock whenever I get up off my lazy bum. I have calculated fuel savings and K&N made mileage go down... why is still up for debate but one thing that is not is stock is the way to go until you mod truck severely.

Flush coolant with quality diesel coolant. CAT ELC is my favorite but anything without silicates is sufficient.

PM me if you need some help.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

BC Diesel

George

If you are going to own that truck your list is good but are putting the cart before the horse. Make the truck reliable then worry about the intake, exhaust and tuner.

Reliability:
First you need to get to the root of the hard start, it could be the FICM if the truck has had any weak battery or charging systems problems. FICM's are not cheap and it is just as likely your injectors. Any shop with the proper diagnostic will be able to tell your if it is your FICM and/or Injectors.

Does the running rough get better as it warms up?
If you plug it in overnight does it runs smother from a cold start?
Do you have any codes, FICM, EGR or Injector related?
If any injectors codes are the contribution for a few injectors or circuit codes for all 8 injectors?

Answer those questions for me and I will tell you if it is injectors or FICM.

After you have detemined if it is injectors or FICM of both, you then need to deal with the EGR Cooler... lots of options there.

Now your that your injectors are firing, your EGR Cooler is dealt with and your headgasket is at a much lower risk you can purchase a tuner (I recommend SCT) then a high flow air filter replacement, or cold air intake if you want (not need) and finally an exhaust system.

I see these things everyday and trust me, I really recommend taking care of the EGR system with the money you saved from throwing parts at your problem without testing...

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.