'06 F250 6.0 White Smoke on Start up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 F250 6.0 White Smoke on Start up

Bought the truck in September last year. Since then I have installed CAI, 4" Straight pipe, and SRL tune. When the cooler weather got started, I noticed that in the mornings when I started my truck I had an irradic idle for about 2 seconds and then it went back to normal. I frequently checked for DTCs but got none. Then about 3 weeks ago when I left work, my buddy said that I shot white smoke from tail pipe when I started up. I couldn't make it do it again so I decided I wasn't too worried about it. Today, he started it for me and let me watch. I got a pretty decent sized plume of white smoke when I started up. I had him kill it and try again. Same result. I pulled the tune off my truck when I got home and I'm going to see if I get similar results in the morning. My question is what are a few things I need to look for to better diagnose what's going on?? I know on the low side, I've either got a bad fuel filter, dirty injector, and/or both. Then it could be a EGR valve going out, or it could be the EGR cooler going (though I have heard that it would be blowing white smoke all the time if it were that). My friends have me a bit paranoid and I need some reassurance or a good way of troubleshooting if you guys have any. There is a reputable mechanic not far from me who does EGR delete, Head Studs, and Larger Oil Cooler installation for around $3000 and I plan to do it eventually but I am not sure I am ready to bite that bullet yet since my wedding is coming up soon. Any help you can give is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does the exhaust smell sweet like coolant or does it smell like diesel fuel?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are tuned and straight piped ? It's unburnt fuel due to colder days .. My 2cents
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM

This morning when I started up I didn't see white smoke. If it was there it was too light for me to notice. Exhaust smells like normal diesel to me.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It's completely normal.

BTW, get a coolant filter and swap to a good ELC to prevent future HG/Oil Cooler/EGR Cooler issues.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
It's completely normal.

BTW, get a coolant filter and swap to a good ELC to prevent future HG/Oil Cooler/EGR Cooler issues.

So the White Smoke is normal because there is unburnt fuel coming through because of the tune?? Or because of no resistance in the exhaust?? or a combination of the 2?? Also what is a good brand for that coolant to look for??
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
any ELC coolant will work, and that smoke is perfectly normal for a 6.0 on startup dont even worry about it
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by philva13 View Post
So the White Smoke is normal because there is unburnt fuel coming through because of the tune?? Or because of no resistance in the exhaust?? or a combination of the 2?? Also what is a good brand for that coolant to look for??
Any high horsepower tune (I.E. Xtreme Tunes, Insanity Tunes, SRL Tunes, etc) will put out a puff of unburnt fuel on a cold start. I'm sure it wouldn't be as big of a cloud with a restrictive stock exhaust system (catalytic converter would catch some of it).

Rotella, Zerex, and CAT are all good ELC's. Just get the Gold crap out since you have stock internals.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Question about the ELC. If it were added to conventional coolant to "top off" would it hurt anything?? And then later when I've got the funds I can do a full coolant flush??
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM

New development. Today (2 days after returning tune to stock) I had a good 5 seconds of white smoke this morning on startup (37 degrees out) and this afternoon had a second or two upon startup. Then when leaving when I put a little load on the accelerator and when I let off I got a nice puff of white smoke. Does this change your diagnosis?? Also the cap on my overflow reservoir has gotten crusty but I can't tell that I have really lost any fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.