FICM Voltage Test Results Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Voltage Test Results Question?

I am having a pretty serious cold start issue with my '05 6.0L at temperatures below about 40F. I have measured the fuel pressure which appears fine. I've checked the Glow Plugs and they appear to all be working. The truck has the lattest flash.

I tested my FICM voltage and see the following behavior (had truck on battery charger during test):

1) Key on FICM Voltage: 24V for 3 seconds (approx) and then it jumps up the 48.5V

2) Key on and crank immediately: 48.5V
- NOTE: I see the 24V reading for that second until until I start cranking the engine and then it immediately jumps up to 48.5V
- NOTE: I tested both with and w/o my Glow Plug Control Module powered but did not see any difference in behavior.

Can anybody tell me what is happening during those first three seconds as related to FICM voltage?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like a failing ficm to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks,

Is this the type of symptoms that are correctable with the FICM "re-solder" mod? Or should I get our my credit card?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you convinced it is the ficm? Before I'd pull out the CC, I would eliminate other potential contributors. What are your "serious cold start issues"? Long cranking to start? Running rough when cold?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spend some time reading thru threads here using the search function for "cold start" cause there are a few different problems that people have run into.

Check out the cold start thread in my sig, it helped with my problem
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When the temps fall below about 35F I have very long crank times and it sounds/feels like when the engine finally fires it is only running on a couple cylinders and will most likely stall 2 or 3 times before it finally coughs and sputters long enough to start warming up. This is a new problem this winter as I have never experienced this problem in the previous 5 winters.

I have always kept the oil changed on 5K miles (or less) intervals and kept the fuel filters clean.

I recently tested all of the glow plugs and the controller which all tested fine. I also tested the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure was a bit low at 48psi so I upgraded to the "blue" spring from ford. This hasn't really fixed anything but I feel better keeping the fuel pressure up (runs 58psi now).

With all of the threads out there on FICM voltages, I tested mine and noted a behavior that I haven't seen documented in any of the threads which is described in my original post.

Thanks for the questions and advice.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

sounds like stiction to me. check the cold start link in my sig
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stiction could well be a significant part of my issue. I changed my oil and filter last weekend and added Rev-X. Figured it can't hurt. Anyways I am trying to undertand why I am measuring 24V from my FICM durring the key-on buzz test as I described above. I don't think this is normal from all of the threads I have read.

Maybe the Rev-X will fix my stiction problem but I would also think that the inductive heating flash should also help but it hasn't done Jack. That is why I decided to probe the FICM voltage.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my 05 had the same voltage reading on the ficm that yours has with the 24v for a few seconds then would go to 48v and about two weeks later my ficm went completely out and would not crank.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Going to pull the FICM and peform the "FICM UPGRADE" from the 6.0 Tech Files folder this weekend.

I will update with post upgrade measurements when I am done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.