Really bad turbo lag - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really bad turbo lag

03 6.0. My truck has me scratching my head, and its a little scary to drive sometimes. the problem seems to be really bad turbo lag. When i step on the go pedal the truck seems to take about 30 feet before it will start to build boost. this makes it really hard to get out into traffic. once its starts to build boost its fine and will blow the back tires off even with 800lbs of tounge weight on the back. any ideas what could cause this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM

I've got some lag as well with my 03. In my case I think that it's because of a cracked Y-Pipe which will get replaced in April (too cold now) and I'm planning on cleaning the turbo at that time as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

Has your turbo been cleaned? My guess is veins are sticking??
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Good call "DesertSmoker". That is exactly the problem. Did my Turbo clean and freed up the Variable Veins and it is virtually instant response when I throttle now.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM

that would make sense anygood tech articles on how to get the turbo out without lifting the cab. I know it can be done just havent seen it done.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

No need to take the cab off unless you are going to install some new head gaskets. I know there is a write up on here some place.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

M-Chan had a decent writeup on this. This is NOT FUN the first time, that rear bolt is a sonofabi&^% to get out. Buy a 10mm bolt-out before even starting on that one. Soak it with PB Blaster well ahead of time, then when you think that its soaked enough, do it again. I ended up cutting a 3/8" ratchet to the length of a 1/4" then with the socket firmly on the rear bolt, I pushed from the passenger side with a crowbar, smacking it a couple of times with a hammer. Be sure that you use plenty of anti-seize on reassembly.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM

I think I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 10mm socket then put a box end wrench over the ratchet and mine popped loose. After that it was downhill sailing. Couple of hours doing a thorough clean with on the Unison Ring and Variable Veins with a dotco motor and scotch brite pads. Here is the a link for cleaning. Diesel Technician Society
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 AM

I was lucky, my turbo was out in 25 minutes, and my truck has 133k miles. I found the rear bolt easy, I used an 18" 3/8 ratchet with a swivel head and 8" of extension. I did not even soak it with penetrating oil, I just kept applying pressure in "waves" and it POPPED. I found the bolt near the FICM more annoying, I had to use a wobble extension on it. I cleaned the turbo yesterday, and found it very clean, but it definitely moved more freely after the cleaning.
Maybe, because my truck is a Southern truck, the bolts didn't corrode. Anyway, I'll take it!

John
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 AM

What if you know that your turbo is clean, had it done by a reputable shop, and it is still lagging like crazy! Just like installer, it is almost scary pulling into traffic, but once the turbo catches it flies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.