Engin Stalls after about 15 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engin Stalls after about 15 miles

I have a 2004 F-250 6.0L with 80,000 miles. When I first start up I can drive maybe 15 miles befor the problem starts. It dosent spit or sputter it just loses power to the point I need to get off the road it also emitts a real light blue colored smoke. It dosent compleatly die and I can put it in neutral work the gas pedal a little till it clears up. It has done this maybe once or twice a year since I bought the truck in 04 with 10,000 miles on it, But I would change the fuel filters and all would be good for another 6 or 8 months. But this last time the filters didnt make any difference. It starts right up and runs like a sewing machine while in neutral, reves up good sounds great no smoke no problems, setting still. Always in the past it seemed that making a right hand turn would kinda set it off as was the case this time also. I thought maybe the fuel tank had been contaminated and removed it yesterday. It was really very clean. I`m going to reinstall it today and try fresh fuel from a different source and see if that helps. Is there any other suggestions. Onne other thing I should mention, When I bought the truck the water in fuel light was on. Knowing nothing about the truck I took it to Ford in Las Vegas and they took care of it. (at a price) Now I get what looks like rust out of the water/fuel drain plug. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you pulled the cap off the fuel filter bowl on top and turn the key on to make sure it is filling properly? You say the fuel looks like rust, yet the tank looks clean inside? I'd break the fuel lines loose front and back and flush with a fuel and air compressor to ensure the lines are clean. Process of elimination: Good fuel flow from tank to top filter bowl and it is filling properly. Clean fuel should be entering top filter bowl. After you have confirmed you are getting proper and clean fuel to top and it is still not running right, I would then question what your fuel pressure is at that point. It could be a weak fuel pump or possibly Injector issues, but I doubt it's Injectors just yet. Does it throw any codes?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 AM

hmmmm. Im not sure what to do about rust in the HFCM, pull the filters out and see if their clogged up with crap? The whole right hand turn thing is odd, hopefully someone intelligent will have some answers
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucer View Post
Have you pulled the cap off the fuel filter bowl on top and turn the key on to make sure it is filling properly? You say the fuel looks like rust, yet the tank looks clean inside? I'd break the fuel lines loose front and back and flush with a fuel and air compressor to ensure the lines are clean. Process of elimination: Good fuel flow from tank to top filter bowl and it is filling properly. Clean fuel should be entering top filter bowl. After you have confirmed you are getting proper and clean fuel to top and it is still not running right, I would then question what your fuel pressure is at that point. It could be a weak fuel pump or possibly Injector issues, but I doubt it's Injectors just yet. Does it throw any codes?
It was full when I changed the filter. Like I said it runs fine while setting still in neutral. Maybe I should pull over and open it up and look when it stalls But I`m kinda afraid to drive it and maybe ruin something else. I bought the truck thinking this one will last me the rest of my life. I retired last year. But as it turns out, being on a fixed income it may be the one that kills me.. It dosent show any codes.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
hmmmm. Im not sure what to do about rust in the HFCM, pull the filters out and see if their clogged up with crap? The whole right hand turn thing is odd, hopefully someone intelligent will have some answers
It was the right hand turn thing that pointed me to the fuel tank. It has new filters
Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 AM

Good point 'Chango'. That went right by me. The fact that it stalls while turning right could be because of insufficient fuel pressure and when you turn, the load/fuel obviously is pushed back away. This could be telling you that it is a fuel pressure issue, i.e. pump.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucer View Post
Good point 'Chango'. That went right by me. The fact that it stalls while turning right could be because of insufficient fuel pressure and when you turn, the load/fuel obviously is pushed back away. This could be telling you that it is a fuel pressure issue, i.e. pump.
Back in the old days, and I do mean old befor electric fuel pumps when your fuel pump went out you could sometimes idle to where you needed to get. So when I`m setting there in neutral there would be less load on the fuel pump letting it run, right ? and the small bits of what looks like rust not rust color could possibly be the culprit from when I first bought the truck with the water in fuel light on I have no ideal how long it set at the dealers like that. Can the fuel pump be taken apart and cleaned?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 AM

I think you can run a pressure check to find out if it is functioning properly first. As for cleaning it, that I don't know. I assume it works on a diaphragm concept and it maybe leaking there. If you can have it tested or perform a pressure test first, that would be the smart approach.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Thats what I`ll do. Thanks for your help, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.