Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

can you bench test a HPOP

34K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  forddieseldoctor 
#1 ·
i was wondering if theres a test out there to bench test a hpop. i think my went bad last night i went to start the truck and it started up fine was letting it warm up went back out to go home and found that the truck had died. tried restarting and it wouldnt. I am only getting about 175 psi on the icp.

#4 ·
Did it restart after it got cold? Have you ever had an stc fitting replaced? It is located at the outlet of the pump. That is a very common spot for a leak. Remove the pump cover and put air pressure to the high pressure oil system and close the ipr valve and look and listen for air leaks. Pumps are not a very common failure on the 05's.

#5 ·
Yeah I've replaced the sct and both stand pipes and dummy plugs in the oil rails and no it won't start when its cold

#6 ·
You replaced them both since it died and still no start? Does your oil pressure gauge move in the dash after you crank for a little bit? Otherwise you may have a bad ipr valve. The valve would be tested with the air test.

#7 ·
No I replaced them earlier I've been having this no start after warm problem for awhile now and so I replaced all of that thinking that was the problem it also has new ipr and icp and the air test was good I couldn't here any air and I maintained 100 psi I think my pump is weak

#11 ·
Yeah today I did that's when I finally did the air test cause it wouldn't start any more

#19 ·
Do you hear hissing from the bleed hole in the back of the pump? If you don't hear hissing then put your air to the allen plug on top of the pump. If you still don't get any response from your ipr valve and your not getting an ipr valve circuit code then I would be replacing the valve.

Sometimes if you are air testing with the cover on you can't hear the change in the air flow through the valve.

#21 ·
There is no way to "bench test" a high pressure oil pump to speak of, just by virtue of the fact that it is a mechanical pump that produces output by being driven mechanically (in this case the cam gear). If all of the above have been replaced, and the IPR valve has been verified as functioning properly, chances are the pump has failed. There is a test that involves installing block off pipes in place of the standpipes to both cylinder banks to test high pressure pump output. This is called "dead-heading" the pump. The purpose of the test is to check the pump's output pressure, which I believe the spec is about 1500 psi with IPR commanded above 60% duty cycle. If lube oil pressure has been verified and no leaks are found through air testing the system, that alone is enough to condemn the pump by process of elimination. Although pump failures are most common with 2003 model years, 2005 and newer pumps can fail as well.

#22 ·
Well the ipr valve only has about 1200 miles on it and I can only build about 175 psi of high oil pressure and my lpop is good

#24 ·
So would inadequate oil be party of my problem ill explain. So I bought a new IPR valve put it in and it started up but when I got it up to operating temp 195 it wouldn't start back up now I let it sit and cool down to 180 and it start up not easy but it did start. Now I am using just walmart brand 15/40 to flush it

#26 ·
ICP-377psi. and the screen was pushed in some but no tear in it like my very first one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.