HELP - New truck, rough idle and fails to accelerate sometimes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP - New truck, rough idle and fails to accelerate sometimes

About two weeks ago, I bought my first diesel

It's an 06 F250 with 95,000 miles on it.

While test driving it, I notices that when idling after the engine was warmed up, the RPM would start surging between 500 - 1000 RPM. Other than that the truck was in great shape. I took the truck to a mechanic who told me the problem was due to the fact that the fuel filter needed to be changed.

Last week, I changed both the fuel filter and oil and the truck still would occasionally surge once the engine was warmed up.

Today when driving, I was idling at a stop light and the engine started surging again. However, once the light turned green, I pressed on the accelerator, and the truck continued to idle. I pressed the accelerator to the floor and nothing happened. The truck just idled through the intersection... NOT FUN. I turned off onto a side street, and the truck stalled out, and it took a lot of cranking before it would start again.

Being that I've never worked on diesels before, I have no clue where to start. searching for the problem. No codes come up.

What should I check? FCIM? Accelerator pedal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the throttle position censor. If it's going bad it can make the truck surge but I'm not to sure about the no start issue.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM

sounds ficm'ish maybe... do you still have warranty? 06, you might... take her in if you do if you dont you need to find a shop with the good scanners and dodads they will tell you if its ficm or now my ficm went and it acted similar on mine i had no engine light or anything on the dash, just didnt wanna accelerate past like thirty mph.... idled up and down like yours, check swamps ficm i hear good things if your near ohio i know a good shop that can rebuild or replace them
Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, just got back from Christmas vacation. I'm not sure if the truck has any warranty left. In the morning I will take it the the dealership and see.

If it is a sensor or something, I could check and replace it on my own and save the $100 deductible. Although I'm sure the FCIM is beyond my ability to diagnose.

I have read that the ICP sensor can cause rough idling. Could this sensor also cause the truck to go into a "failsafe" mode and prevent the truck from accelerating? I doubt it, but I just wanted to check.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

FICM is easy to test with the right tools. It took me about 20 mins, check the threads in my sig for test procedure under "no start" thread
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Chango, I will check that.

As I drove the truck last night, I finally got two CEL codes. P0299 (Turbo underbosst) and P2285 (ICP circuit low)

I have found some information on testing the ICP sensor reading the pressure from a scan tool. Does anyone know what voltages it should be so that I can use my multimeter (I don't have the $2,000 scan tool)

I just got back from the dealership, and the warranty expired on 12/22/2010. So I just missed it. So fixing the problem is on my own dollar now.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM

sounds like an ICP issue. or trash in the screen of the ICP. But its hard to diagnose without having a scan tool. Maybe someone one here around you can help. Where you located.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like it is begining a hpop leak...
Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIs1094 View Post
sounds like an ICP issue. or trash in the screen of the ICP. But its hard to diagnose without having a scan tool. Maybe someone one here around you can help. Where you located.
I think it might have been an issue with the ICP or the plug. After I got the CEL code, I unplugged the ICP then plugged it back in and cleared the code. After 3 hours of driving, I have yet to have the engine act up.

I hope it was just a bad connection, but I figure the problem will come back in a day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.