HELP dropped a fitting into my motor! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP dropped a fitting into my motor!

I was putting the fuel pressure spring back into my fuel filter housing and took the two bolts out that hold the coolant line to the top of the motor and moved it to the side to make some room for my ratchet. Sure enough, dropped the brass fitting for the end of the spring down the hole right into the coolant port on the top right of my motor.

If i start it up my water pump and everything else will be done, so I am getting it towed to the dealer for a coolant flush of some sort I guess. What else can I do? Dealer says they will get to it in a few weeks as they are completely backed up...is this something a local shop can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Old 12-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamsom View Post
if your mech inclined i guess you could do the job.just take the housing off.start taking stuff off till you get it...just remember were it goes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 PM

You could always try to flush it out yourself. Get the hose out and see what happens. It's always the easy mods that come back to bite you in the @$$. Or maybe you could just turn the truck upside-down and it should fall right out.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 PM

What coolant "line" are we talking about here that had to be off to install a regulator spring?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 PM

The line that goes from the top right of the rad to the top right of the motor. I was doing an EGR delete and had everything off anyways so I moved the line out of the way to make life easier...that was my first mistake.

Hey majek5, want to come help me flip the truck over? Not a bad idea hahaha!

Does anyone have some sort of diagram of how the coolant circulates in the block of a 6.0?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Damm ssamsom, that's a first bud. However, don't dispair! This should be an easy recovery. What you dropped the poppet into is the thermostat housing. Unless your thermostat is stuck open it should not have gone "into the engine". Just take the other hose off the housing, carefully unbolt the housing and lift it off the motor. If you can slip a couple of real thin flat blade screw drivers and seperate the thermost so that it stays in the housing that would be best. Then you can turn that upside down and shake the poppet out rather than turn the whole truck over.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:02 AM

The thermostat is on the end of the line i removed right? Held on to the motor with two bolts? If so, that came off with the coolant line is there another housing below this? Fished with a magnet even though its brass just to see how far down she goes and it feels like at least a foot or so.

If they get the part out with the flush at least it is an opportunity to switch to the Cat ELC right?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:39 AM

Try one of those spring loaded "grabbers", you know the ones that you push the plunger down and the claw comes out the end. They have saved me more than once.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:45 AM

I don't think this is a serious a dropping something into the oil system. It probably will go through the water pump and get caught in one of the water passages somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.