Strange random problem?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange random problem?!?!

Okay so for the life of me can'tt figure this thing out. Truck did this to me a few weeks back blamed it on a weak FICM which completely died 3 days ago and was replaced. Towed a truck on a car trailer about 200kms took around 3 hrs due to snow. Ran it around for a few hours turned it off a few times and always started just fine. Towed another truck back home took about 3 hrs again, let it idle at a friends house for about 30-45mins while we bull**** as i dropped the trailer off, get it home park it...go to start it again about 20 mins later...no go just cranking. Leave it over night tried it this morning still nothing, worked at it all morning, FICM tested 48v across the board, no DTC codes(Not the best scanner going to get it scanned tomorrow) tested the volts on the ICP sensor was getting 0.7v need at least .8v(500psi so i'm told) left it for 3-4hrs with the battery charger on as they were stating to get a little weak fomr trying to start it(still more than enough juice to start though!) tried to randomly start it again, Fires right up let it idle for 30 mins took it for a rip around the block in 3rd gear reving at 2200 to make it work a little, stopped at home, shut it off, started and shut it off a few times no problem. Checked ICP sensor, reading .84-.85v which seems to be right about where it should be? there HAS to be a leak in the high pressure system am I wrong? Mechanic thinks chances are its leaking through the oil rails and needs the upgrade and dummy plug(I think thats what he said) any suggestions? did the same thing to about a month and a half ago turned it off after a 4 hr trip and wouldnt start again until the morning(was -15 that night) its been -1 here all day now? Any help would be much appreciated starting to Line up a trade for a 2010 F150 but REALLY want to keep my diesel I love it but am sick of fixing these stupid problems every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just fixed that same problem and your at the begining stages of what I was going through. p2291 help
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is the part number from your other post the right one for the kit. One ford dealer I called showed that it only includes one standpipe and dummy plugs are different part number and one showed the B kit for $140 but he has no idea if it includes both standpipes and plugs?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

okay just talked to the dealer, he figured it out, just can't believe that if you buy it all seperatly its like $350 or as a kit its $140, go figure. Should be in next week and will have it installed by the end of the month heres hoping that the problem or its another $400 out the window!!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Deagle before you go throwing money at it go thru the checklist of the "troubleshooting a no start" thread in my signature. You should be able figure it out or atleast narrow it down to what it is. I believe there are tests for the different functions on the hpop system too. Good luck
Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

allready did that, when it was not starting tested the voltage on the ICP sensor and got .70 needs .80 minimum. Reads .85 now which is fine. From what the ford techs i've talked to they say its definetely a high pressure leak, no codes for ICP or any injector codes and runs fine other then a mid range miss(my guess is not a consitent oil pressure causing the miss) Seems like all it needs is the standpipe upgrade kit and i'll get injector o-rings and dummy plugs replaced while they are in there
Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagle44 View Post
okay just talked to the dealer, he figured it out, just can't believe that if you buy it all seperatly its like $350 or as a kit its $140, go figure. Should be in next week and will have it installed by the end of the month heres hoping that the problem or its another $400 out the window!!
I didn't understand it either but what do you expect, it's the dealer! Just a heads up if your doing this yourself, the box mounted on the fire wall on the passenger side will have to be removed to get the down tube out.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Will the part numbers be the same in the states? This sounds too much like what I'm going through right now. Sometimes it starts sometimes it won't but eventually does.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah that part number is actually US stock. I am going to get a mechanic to do it, I remember helping my mechanic do a couple injectors last time and just not up for doing that in the driveway, its cold outside. Got a mechanic that will do it for cash and only charge me 4 hrs so $280, can't go wrong with that!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks this has been going on about a year. It's still under warrenty so I'll be back at the dealer after the holidays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.