Cold Start Problems 04 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Cold Start Problems 04 6.0

My 04 F550 with 6.0 is a SC truck and I recently brought it to NY. Any temp under 40 and it would start hard. If it got under twenty it wouldn't start at all. Crank til the batteries die and just get white smoke. If I plug it in it will start fine but at 30 degrees you shouldn't have to. Changed oil and fuel filters. No better. In the mean time I lost taillights and ft marker lights but not mirror or cab lights. Took it to dealer.... Bad FICM, bad GPCM, and bad EGR valve, and non serviceable relay in fuse box. Thats quite a list so I figured I should check everything myself. Got it back and put the GPCM in and no better. Tested FICM and all was fine except injector buzz it dropped to 13V. Called innovative and decided to get swamps 58v FICM and ordered sinister egr delete and new oil cooler. Put in all new parts. Starts better than before but not much. 20 degrees will still kill batteries from cranking. Batteries are fairly new and load test good. Alternator good. Replaced fuse box and that fixed the lights for a couple days. Same problem back now and no idea why. Went to start it this morning... 24 degrees out. Turned key and nothing. heard all the noises(glow plugs, fuel) but did nothing when I tried to crank it. Tried a few more times and it Cranked.. some white smoke..Killed batteries after a few min just like im getting used to with it. Plugged it in and put it on charge. Came back out half hour later and tried to crank and it wouldn't start. I don't know if it comes standard but when I turn the key it will crank for like thirty seconds even if I stop cranking and even if I take the key out. Of course today is the day I was waiting for where the starter had enough. Starter went. Sorry for the long post but that is all the information. Also I forgot to mention this is my tow truck and the problems are killing me. I own my own towing company and I don't know what to do about this. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Start with replacing your batteries. They are toast. When you load tested them did you totally disconnect em
Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cold start

I'm not sure. I would hope so. They did it last time it was at the dealer. What batteries would you recommend for these trucks? Especially with it being a tow truck and using all the extra power. I should brobably test them again. If they test good then what?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

with all the extra equipment do you have dual alternators?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont believe it does. It has a light bar and some work lights. Also some accessories inside like chargers and gps. Nothing to cause extra draw in starting though.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Probably doesnt have dual alternators. Just a high output one..
Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any ideas about the cold starting problems though? I know its more than batteries because even if its plugged in to a charger or hooked up to another truck it will kill the batteries before it will actually start if its cold out
Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM

If your planning on replacing the batteries i would recommend getting Optima batteries. Another Suggestion would be to get insulation for around the batteries. I know my 7.3 came with insulation from the factory but i don't think they put any on the 6.0's.

What weight oil are you running?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the standard 15W40 but Im starting to think that is too thick for my area this time of year. I know that and the batteries will effect it but I really dont think it will keep it from starting this bad. The insulation around the batteries is a good idea. I dont want to get new batteries unless I have to though. Money is tight and I have spent around 2K on it in the last two weeks on parts trying to fix this
Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM

would start with batteries 6.0s are touchy if the batteries arent tip top
2 i would change your oil to a lesser weight
3 how many miles ore on it maybe you have a slight injector stiction this would not help the situation??? if it hiccups and chugs on cold days untill high idle mode sinks in this may be part of the reason, i would suggest rev x oil additive it worked me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold start, hard start, starting problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.