New Oil cooler, more oil in water and the truck died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Oil cooler, more oil in water and the truck died

It's an 05 F250. Just put in a new oil cooler (oe part), flushed and flushed and flushed the cooling system till it was mostly clean. The truck died going through traffic the other day and won't start now. Have no oil pressure reading on gauge. Has an EGR delete and superchips programmer. Looked in the degas bottle and it's full of sludge again...(looks to be all new). Head gaskets were replaced about a year ago. Anyone have any ideas???? I sure could use the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is there evidence of coolant blowing back out the degas bottle? Have you run a check for dtc's? No start might be a sensor issue, but crud in the degas bottle spells greater issues again. Have you done anything to the engine recently that you may have disrupted or messed with the wiring harness and plugs? If so, go back and check everything on top is plugged in properly and not broken or shorted. Did you personally do the headgasket, egr delete and oil cooler work or was it done somewhere else? Do you have ARP studs installed?

Last edited by deucer; 12-19-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlackPearlF250
does it start when the engine is cold?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck won't start period. I did the oil cooler replacement and pulled it again thinking maybe i had a gasket that rolled up. Cooler and all gaskets and o-rings are fine. The head gaskets were done by a ford dealer here that has a pretty decent rep. When the truck came to my buddy, he was told there were new heads put on. The heads are not new, only one side has the upper section that's been replaced. Headbolts were RE USED from what i can tell (still have old chalk marks from torquing them, as well as new marks). I flushed the truck 6 times and got about 95% clean water on the last flush. The sludge in the degas bottle is worse than it was when i replaced the cooler. He just informed me that he originally noticed the sludge on a trip down from north GA and drove it appx 300 miles towing a trailer full of horses. We replaced the cooler and flushed, now two weeks later he's having this issue. I'm thinking he cracked a cylinder head or something. Said the truck just quit on him in traffic. He didn't notice any funny smoke but he's not so midfull of such things.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

BTW, i double and triple checked all wiring in the engine bay when i did the cooler. Didn't want any excuses for having to go back over my original work. The truck hasn't thrown any codes. I've hooked it up to 3 scanners, my handheld, a mac tools scanner and a buddy of mine borrowed the laptop from a dealer. No codes, historic or otherwise. Thanks for the help guys.....this one's got me stumped.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlackPearlF250
hpop maybe?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A guy at the ford dealer told him it was due to a bad IPR valve. That would explain the lack of oil pressure and it not starting. I'm no freakin doctor but that doesn't get me around the oil and coolant mixing.....unless there is another magic valve i'm not aware of lol...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM

There are no magic valves, but I'm leaning towards headgaskets and heads are hosed. With respect to the IPR bad, it is plausible that is the cause for no start, but that ain't your major problem regarding the mix of oil and coolant. Pull the valve covers and look at what is coated on the inside of the covers.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

troubleshooting a no start condition in my signature. Its a great checklist for figuring out whats going on. Good luck
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem with my 04 6.0 the oil cooler dumped all of the oil into the cooling system. I didnt repair it myself but my trusty mechanic used tide detergent the powder kind. I continually removed the cap from the res. and cleaned it everyday, After about a week I had to remove the res and give her a good cleaning. I also changed the oil after 1k miles and then again after 3k miles. Now out of nowhere the truck is doing as you described it just died and would not crank back. I let it sit about 4 days and put some sea foam in the fuel filter on the engine and charged the batteries completely. The truck started but ran very rough and when I get on the pedal it just chokes down, also the power steering and brake pedal were surging and if I turned the wheels while sitting still the engine would die? After searching through the forum my only thought is the High Pressure Oil Pump. Please keep us updated because it seems to be the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.