Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP: up pipe leak wont go away!

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  preston77 
#1 ·
Truck is a 05 6.opps. Had an oil consumtion problem and had the turbo rebuilt.
The up pipe is leaking and hissing right where the pipe meets the turbo. it is NOT the flex pipe.
The leak only occurs when the two prong connector is plugged in. Assuming this is an electronic wastgate? Could this be bad??

#2 ·
Hey bud, that 2 terminal connector is the electro-hydraulic vane actuator. It is nothing like a wastegate in its design, but serves the purpose of controlling turbo speed similarly. The leak you are describing sounds as if when the vanes cycle closed, the backpressure created is escaping through a misalignment in the Y pipe-to-turbo joint or a beakage in the pipe or flange itself. Is it bad??...it is losing boost and the escaping hot gasses are feet from you as a driver just on the other side of the sheetmetal and poorly sealed firewall. Additionally, the accompanying soot is soiling the engine compartment and accelerating corosion to everything it covers. I will let you decide the severity, but I think you may want to get that corrected my man:thumb:

#3 ·
I would loosen the bolts where the y-pipe meets the exhaust manifold and then loosen clamp up top this will allow you to move the y-pipe around in order to mate the turbo and y-pipe perfectly.

#4 ·
I took the bolts out of the turbo, took the clamp off the down pipe tightened the up pipe clamp then re installed the rest of the stuff. Still leaks. The truck is not being driven. I'm going to have to check the up pipe for cracks.

#5 ·
I am having the exact same issue, been trying to correct it for the past 2 days. Bent the V-clamps and am ready to throw a grenade in the cab! :mad: :censored: Going to loosen loosen up-pipe to manifold connections on driver and passenger side as well as loosen the up-pipe to up-pipe connection. Would just take it to the dealer to get them re-aligned but there is a 2 week waiting list for a diesel tech.

#6 ·
Check for cracks FIRST, carefully look over flex joints and connection points on up pipe for soot (a flex mirror is indispensable). Check down pipe and up-pipe flanges for soot.

If you think a flange is misaligned, loosen everything, up-pipe to manifolds, (BTW, LS inner bolt a biotch) up-pipe to turbo clamp, Down pipe turbo clamp, and loosen turbo bolts.

Make sure clamps are FREE of flanges, shake clamps completely loose.

Align and tighten down pipe first, then up pipe to turbo, then up-pipe to manifolds, then turbo base bolts.

Having the turbo loose allows the turbo to "float" into position as you tighten your clamps. The up-pipe to manifolds have ball couplers which seal easier slightly misaligned, plus you can tweak them slightly utilizing the "flex" in the assembly.

My ultimate guess however is you have a crack in the up-pipe assembly somewhere, those clamp couplers on the turbo don't just loosen, they are pretty tenacious.

#7 ·
I just tackled the same problem and it was the Y pipe from the manifolds to the turbo. It was onlf off by maybe 1/8". The stupid Y pipe has a round slot that isnt long at all and if you don't have it in the tiny little slot on the turbo it's just gonna keep leaking. It's such a small male to female slot that the clamp will go back on. I tried just tightening the clamp more and bent it out also. Took about 30 minutes to straighten it back out but once I got my neighbor over to hold a rope that I wrapped around it the Y pipe it sealed up and no more stupid hissing! I wasn't about to loosen all kinds of stuff up to allign it when I have grape ape for a neighbor........

#9 ·
I just tackled the same problem and it was the Y pipe from the manifolds to the turbo. It was onlf off by maybe 1/8". The stupid Y pipe has a round slot that isnt long at all and if you don't have it in the tiny little slot on the turbo it's just gonna keep leaking. It's such a small male to female slot that the clamp will go back on. I tried just tightening the clamp more and bent it out also. Took about 30 minutes to straighten it back out but once I got my neighbor over to hold a rope that I wrapped around it the Y pipe it sealed up and no more stupid hissing! I wasn't about to loosen all kinds of stuff up to allign it when I have grape ape for a neighbor........
Pics of your neighbor... I had no idea you lived next door to a celebrity! :D
Turns out it was the block off plate on the EGR delete kit that seals up to the intake, didn't have the bolts tight enough so the leak was there. Tightened the bolts and sure enough one snapped off so now i need to drill it out and put in a new bolt somehow.
Damn, that sucks. Those bolts aren't very sturdy. Hope it goes well for you. :thumb:

#8 ·
Turns out it was the block off plate on the EGR delete kit that seals up to the intake, didn't have the bolts tight enough so the leak was there. Tightened the bolts and sure enough one snapped off so now i need to drill it out and put in a new bolt somehow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.