Another No-Starting 6L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another No-Starting 6L

Alright before I get bashed wish "use the search button", don't worry I have lol. Been reading up all day (well since I've been home). I think I am down to just a few things that have not been ruled out.

Story hour with Brian begins, now..

So, grandfathers health takes a turn for the worst, he lives 4-5 hours west of me, in Abilene. A cousin with a body shop also lives in Abilene, and we have been meaning to get my sisters wrecked mustang to him for a while now.

Perfect, 2 birds with 1 stone, right? So we (Dad and I) rent a U-haul car hauler, load up the Stang and all our luggage in both trucks (my stroke and his Ram), I re-flash from IDP X-Race to the Spartan archived free Aggressive Tow w/ Engine Brake tune, hook the car hauler to my truck, and off we go.

Truck started and ran fine the whole trip out, we get to Abilene, drop the car off and take dads truck to visit my grandfather (who had fallen into a Coma before we made it..).

The next morning, back at the cousins place, I went to start my truck to get her warm so we would be able to have heat while returning the U-haul..

NOPE. After 30 minutes of cranking/Jumping/Reflashing with various different tunes, and giving the family a terrible, embarrassing (white) smoke show, SUCCESS! It cranked and idled perfect, but was still blowing a steady stream of white smoke for a good 10 mins until she warmed up.

So I drove the truck alot, all day. LOTS of stops. And every time it started perfect, no smoke, nothing. Early the next morning, my Grandfather passed..

While dad was gone to deal with that, I figured I would crank the truck up and get ready to load up another U-haul trailer for the furniture. And just like the previous morning, it was somewhat chilly (around 38-40*F), with my fingers crossed I gave it a shot.

"Well, this seems hauntingly familiar..." Yep, same game. Long cranks, lots of white smoke (unburned fuel maybe?) no start. Of course it would occasionally fire off, but not enough to start (as seen in my video below).

This time I gave up, it was not going to start. I have had new batteries for about a month now (BIG *** Group 31 monsters). The factory 04 ford batteries where in there till october this year, and they where SHOT.

I had been wanting to try the Swamps 58v FICM, and figured mine was on its last leg already from the extended use out of my previous batteries, I did however test it, but I swear my Volt meter was busted or something, when cranking it just showed 0v? Oh well, its going to probably fail soon anyway, and this is an excuse to get the upgrade.

So I hit up Swamps and ship it next day UPS, I am going to be in Abilene now for the next 4-5 days due to the funeral, so might as well give this a try.

Shipped the FICM out monday, got it back Thursday. Impressive! Lots of cussing later, its back safely tucked right back in the middle of all the hot engine components with no hope for cool air, just like Ford had wanted it.

Fingers TIGHTLY crossed.. HAHAHA no, not gonna end here.. At first I thought it was bad because the modded FICM starts the injector buzz VERY slow and steadily increases the speed. IDK why? Anyway, I was now desperate and needed to get back home, so I was a little more aggressive with my starter (sorry guy!). Lots of praying and 20 mins later she is started! Thank GOD!

6 hours later and not one shut off, I am home! Next morning it took forever to start of course. So 1 mile down the road I got a buddy with a Snap On scanner. Finally got it cranked and wasted no time getting to him. Truck was still cold when I got there. Hooked it up, and pictured below are the codes and some reading I got.

BTW, I did not use the block heater once this whole time. And really in these temps I shouldn't have to.

(I have to say it runs FANTASTIC with the X-Race and 58v FICM btw)

Story hour with Brian ends.

SO. After reading thousands of posts I have narrowed it down to either ICP Sensor, or GPCM. Both these things are showing DTC's as well.

BUT I am leaning towards GPCM because once it finally starts, it still has a bunch of white smoke until it gets warm, wouldn't that be unburned fuel from the cylinders being too cold for complete combustion due to lack of glow plug function? I'm not a pro though, I could be just pissing in the wind here LOL.

Right now I have the ICP sensor unplugged (Thank god mine is a late 04, easier to reach) and in the morning I will attempt to start it like that, to see if that sensor is bad, or if its something else (GPCM).

I have included several Photos of the readings from the Snap On Scanner, as well as a lengthy (7 min) HD Youtube video of my starting.

SO sorry for the long post fellas, And THANK you for any advice you can offer to help me. Maybe this will come in handy for someone in the future with my problem after I get it solved and post back. after all, that's what these forums are all about.

Video:
Attached Thumbnails
Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0004-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0005-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0006-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0017-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0018-5-.jpg  

Last edited by Cedar Creek stroke; 12-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Here are some more random readings from the scanner that may, or may not help.

Looks like my EOT/ECT are within 15* of each other though (once its warmed up anyway), at least that's good.
Attached Thumbnails
Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0007-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0008-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0009-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0010-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0011-5-.jpg  

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM

And more..
Attached Thumbnails
Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0012-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0013-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0014-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0015-5-.jpg   Another No-Starting 6L-dsc_0016-5-.jpg  

Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

Awesome video. Same thing my son's 06 is doing. We changed oil lastnight to T6 and it starts better. Also waiting on Rev-X to show up and see if that cures it. If not, then we are trying some new glow plugs.
I am interested to see what everyone else has to say. Great info on the snapshops.
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Hope you and your family is doing well.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looking at your EOT and ECT, yes they are within 15 degrees however, when did you take those readings? If it is after a long run on a highway or around for at least 30-40 mins. then those numbers would be good. If it's been sitting their at idle for 10 or 15 mins. then it's not telling the full story. You want the numbers to be representative of what is happening after pushing the motor in your normal mode of driving.

Lets discuss your initial problem with starting: I assume you have changed your FICM and the problem still exists, right? If so, have you chased your DTCs to determine what might be causing the error and begin eliminating some of them. Generally when you display numerous dtcs, it is the result of one item that affects multiple elements. There are websites that will discuss dtc errors and potential causes. Just do a search for DTC errors. I don't think it's your Injector Control Pressure (ICP) as you are kicking out a multitude of errors and the ICP would not be a cause of all those, JMO. I'm thinking FICM or PCM with that many errors.

I just reviewed your pics with the DTC errors and again, in my opinion, it is telling you that you have an open circuit to the Injectors, glow plugs, egr sys., turbo and brake light mal.... They all tie in to a main circuitry.

Last edited by deucer; 12-18-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I just tried cold starting with the ICP sensor unplugged, and it was a no go. So its back to the block heater I guess. Because it starts perfect every time when warm. And I am running Mobil 1 synthetic turbo diesel 5w40. It hasnt been in there too long. FWIW, It has been getting steadily harder to start lately with the cold weather coming these last few months.

Also, the EOT/ECT reading where taken after a short drive, and the rest was just idling up to temp..

And yes, the FICM is not even a week old.

So, where should I start in diagnosing the problem from here? To find out if its my PCM, GPCM or just a bad connection? I will start looking over all the wires. But any other help is appreciated!

BTW, family is doing much better now, thanks!

Last edited by Cedar Creek stroke; 12-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Ok you replaced your FICM. Start there. Check your three plugs to ensure they are fully engaged and not loose. Check the wiring from the plugs and along the intake manifold where they rest for pinched, exposed wiring or anything loose. Have you disturbed anything on the right valve cover where the PCM sits? Check those plugs for loose, pinched or bare wires. Eliminate any wiring issues to the pcm and ficm first. It may start fine when it is warm, but the problem is getting it started. Cold weather may affect items that are worn or exposed, but once the engine is warm the problem will go away until the engine cools back down. Again, throwing that many codes has to be something in the circuitry directly related to either the FICM or PCM, or you are a very unlucky person to have that many problems all at one time... Start with retracing your steps
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM

I checked the three connectors to the FICM already, and I will go out there now and check all the other wiring. Thanks Deucer for the help.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:19 PM

When exactly did you begin having this problem? What was done to the truck before this issue occurred? Did add, modify, remove, or service anything prior (within a few weeks) to this occurrence?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlackPearlF250
kinda looks like something that happens after shooting some ether into the intake and trying to fire it up. maybe your glow plugs are shot. shoot some ether in the intake and start. i do it on my 7.3 since it only has one good glow plug and it starts up instantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.