Horrible Cold Starts....FICM?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horrible Cold Starts....FICM?!?

Have an 06 king ranch and the past few weeks since the temps. have gotten in the teens at night it has had trouble starting, it will cycle the glow plugs and it will crank for a few times then just die. I have had to recharge both batteries twice in the past 3 days due to this...Also just had my egr deleted and didnt know if that would have something to do with it. Do i need to replace me FICM or could i use my bully dog programmer to clear it?....Ive also been using some dieselkleen fuel additive to try and improve the starts but its still rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds more like fuel gelling to me, but WTH do I know, it was 80* over the weekend here in Arizona.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

only one way to know if its the ficm, test it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Slow down on the FICM. With it being cold, I would bet that you have stiction problems before you had FICM problems. It could be the FICM, but somehow you need to test it before you just buy one and put it on. If it runs perfectly when it gets up to operating temp, it just might be the stiction. If it is, options are: Try something like Rev-x. It helped my 06 tremendously, switch to rotella 5t thinner oil.(I'm trying that next oil change), or replace injectors. Not sure if you can check FICM without analyzer. No real way to check for stiction beforehand that I know of.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

you can test the ficm with a multi-meter.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06kingdeez View Post
Have an 06 king ranch and the past few weeks since the temps. have gotten in the teens at night it has had trouble starting, it will cycle the glow plugs and it will crank for a few times then just die. I have had to recharge both batteries twice in the past 3 days due to this...Also just had my egr deleted and didnt know if that would have something to do with it. Do i need to replace me FICM or could i use my bully dog programmer to clear it?....Ive also been using some dieselkleen fuel additive to try and improve the starts but its still rough.
This sounds a lot little like bad batteries with a typical 15/40 cold start. That is just a guess. .5 volts on our trucks makes a wold of difference when starting especially when it is cold.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tried Again Today and no luck.....this is killing me!

came out today to start her up and the temp. was about 20* and cranked it over 2 or 3 times with no luck. Plugged in my bully dog to try and clear any trouble codes and then tried again and as soon as i did that both batteries died. The shop that deleted my egr said my ficm probably needs to be replaced soon and that it is probably the reason my cold starts are so bad. Im gonna go get them recharged again and just take it to advanced auto to have them run a test. Would my alternator possibly be causing this. And would getting a custom tuned sct solve this problem or is ficm the only way to go. I know that .5 v difference can cause the truck to not start properly but is this my only route buying a new $700 ficm?????
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

the only way to know what is going on is to perform some TESTS. load TEST the batteries, load TEST the alternator, TEST the ficm, and that doesnt come up with anything you still need to TEST for other things such as icp, ipr, or hpo leaks.

if you havent caught on yet, you need to perform some tests. nobody is going to be able to use a magic 8 ball and tell you what is wrong with your truck unless you can give us some info to go off of. we can give you some ideas (see above), but it is up to you to perform those tests.

if you dont have the knowledge or tools, see if there is anyone on here that can lend a hand. if that isnt an option either, then take it in to a reputable shop (dealer if need be), because if it is the ficm it will kill your injectors.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How long are you letting it turn over each time when you say "2 or 3 times" When my HPOP went out I probably got 12 to 15 thirty second cranks before it even sounded like it was slowing down. I would check your voltages while you crank. If your batteries are giving descent amps but voltage below a minimum required, it might be the reason for the hard starts. At least charge up the batteries, put a charger on one battery, and jumper cables on the other battery from another RUNNING vehicle and see what she does for you. Either way it sounds like probably have a dead cell in one of the batteries if you are only getting 3 quick cranks on them. Does your radio go stupid every time you crank your truck?

Break Break: What's a 15/40 start?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From the "really confused" posting in this section. "Was having what I thought were FICM problems with a no start. Turned out to be a blown alt, put a new one in with new batteries and fired right up and ran GREAT at idle for about 10 mins". He had some other problems, but you can see that low voltage on batteries can cause some strange symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.